Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Practice Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 9, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Hi everyone, although i've been checking this place out for some time, this is my first day registering as a member. Yay~ :D
    Right now I need a good practice combo amp for jamming with in the basement. I've been using a puny 15 watt, and my guitarist always complains that even for a practice amp its a bit too... well, puny :p. I've been a cheapskate about it for some time, but the time has come... I need a new practice amp!
    I'm looking into one that's around 35~50 watts... which probably means a 1x10 or 1x12? Price doesn't matter so much at the moment, I just want some opinions.
    Thanks

2. Your puniness with a 15 watt amp is going to stay a puny sound unless you intend to get a 75 watt amp or more... Honestly if you want to just be heard with a drummer it's not bad to consider somethingmore than 100. I have a 120 watt hartke combo with 2 12's in it and it can barely handle small jazz groups with 2 horns a drummer and a pianist. I just bought myself a 350 watt head recently and I'm happy I did, I can't picture myself doing a gig with just 120. Some combos will deliver better quality for 50 watts, some people say the ampeg combos are great, but I personally can't stand them.

I'd shoot for 100 or so watts and then youll be happy. Price will become an issue, trust me... Check out some Peavey TNT's. Loud enough for almost any jamming situation and can certainly do some harm when you add an extension cab at a gig.;)

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Polytone Sonic Bass. 110 watts, 15" speaker, headphone jack, external speaker jack, and line out. Pro gear! Everything you will ever need in a 35 lb package. Carol Kaye's amp of choice.

4. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    In fact I have a pretty decent rack, but I really don't want to leave it in the basement of my friends house :( . It's also a real pain to haul it around for a gig or just upstairs.
    But I'll look into the Peaveys.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 100.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    GK M150.

7. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was wondering (don't shoot me if I'm saying something stupid) if a 50W could cut it as a practice amp. Everyone seems to be suggesting 100W or perhaps more.
    By the way we don't play loud and crazy stuff, plus the basement is pretty small, so low wattage still manages to get the sound into my ears.
    I was looking into a Behringer BX600.

Thanks

8. it might cut it, I can't say, but 50 watts won't be 'loud' either, atleast to my ears. Low wattage manages to the the sound in your ears, but if your pushing it too hard to get the sound in your ears you'll hurt the speaker. Don't even expect to be able to play decent shows without more than 150. Like I said, my 120 watted barely cuts it for ANY rehearsal I do whether its rock or funk or jazz... Good tone but really not that great at sufficient volumes. it breaks up and distorts...

9. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    gotcha, ill look into 100W +
    Feel free to post further suggestions on good amps
    Thanks guys

10. yeah, basically the more money you spend the better;)

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    :eek: You obvously haven't tried the Bassman 25!
    Small amp, 25 BIG DEEP BASS watts :spit:

12. I've played through a bassman at Samash before and it distorted like crazy. It was the bassman 100. LOL, but that experience doesn't count due to the fact that I haven't been playing bass for more than 6 months when i tested it out and I had the EQ cranked and such. But seriously, Fender makes horrible speakers in my opinion from what i've played through. Just recently I plugged a hartke 3500 head into a Bassman 15" cab. Sure it's a 150 watt cab and I was pushing 240 into it, but I didn't even turn it up and the speaker was distorting on my low B string. I wouldn't reccomend Fender amplification unless its one of their heads, their speakers aren't worthy of praise; no offense guys. However I want to say that m squier 15 watter actually has pretty decent tone at low volumes, I love the tone, but too bad you can't crank it up.

I just want to say that the few experiences I've had with fender amps haven't been good ones and I'm sure they make good amps, Sunn is pretty good, but maybe what I played through was a defective unit, because when I played the hartke into the fender 15 the EQ was tweaked sparingly, everything was practically flat, nothing was boosted significantly. I've played through better amplification, and you have no right to mock hartke, fender has never handled a low B for me. If I were ever to get a real guitar amp for my guitar rather than running it through my bass combo, you better believe me I'd get a Fender guitar combo. I just wouldn't reccomend fedner bass amps to anyone...

Maybe it's bad luck, but I think not, I've never been thrilled with fender bass amps

13. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    For a while I played in a hard-rock 3 piece group with a guitarist using a Crate 2X12 combo set for sudden deafness. I used a 50 watt Fender Silverface Bassman, with both channels cascaded, and a Sansamp BDDI as a preamp. This would never have worked without the speaker enclosure I was using at the time, which was an old custom-made folded horn with a 15" JBL D140. It lacked a little in the tone department, but it was pretty good pitch-wise, and I could just pack up the Sansamp and leave the rest. We made the drummer beg for mercy, and this setup recorded quite well, using the DI out of the Sansamp.

14. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    I heard Behringers use low quality components. Is it true? They do seem to be a bit too cheap compared to other amps of the same caliber.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal......
    in order to hear an apreciable increase in volume (=3db) you need to DOUBLE your wattage
    to get twice as loud (+10 db) you need TEN TIMES the wattage
    my biggest reccomendation is to get a seperate head and cabinet as upgrading later will be easier (if thats what you want to do)
    also, as long as you are using an 8 ohm speaker you can always add another 8 ohm speaker if you need some more volume (theoretically this gives you +6db)
    for what its worth i was very impressed with a pal's swr workingman's 15 combo, and i think you can add another speaker to that
    most times i practice with a bagend 15 using 1 channel of a stewart 2.1 power amp (and a preamp of course)
    this is usually plenty, but ya gotta remember i'm pushing 450 watts