Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good practice/rehearsal amps. Any recommendtions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macron69, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    i'm looking for a good and affordable practice amp. A little amp that's good for practice as well as for rehearsing with my band. No special stuff, just the basics. been keeping my eye on SWR L.A series. Any recommendations?

2. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    an Ibanez ibz10b is a good amp for around 100 bucsk (75 as samash.com) but as for rehersal its not that great cause you cant be heard over the drums and guitar so.....there is my imput:D

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    As we have that topic over and over again, you will possibly not get a lot of answers.
    However, if you use the search function (search for practice amp, select 'search titles only') you will find more than a dozen threads.

Personally, I would not get anything less than 100W and a 12" speaker.

Matthias

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Here are a couple of small combos that I've used and been very pleased with: Fender BXR-25 and Trace Elliot Boxer 30.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    The new little VOX 25 is very,very good indeed.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As soon as you say "rehearse with my band" you conjure up a much bigger amp than for home practice! How big depends on how loud your band likes to rehearse.

My recommendation for the rehearsal room: a used Peavey TNT or Combo (model) combo amp. There are many flavors of these, all have 15" speakers, 100 to 300 watts. Plentiful used, cheap, reliable, OK sound, LOUD.

7. The Ampeg B-50R is a great practice amp. As a matter of fact I happen to have one for sale on eBay.

8. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i dunno what setup you have now, but i have a head and a rather large (henry 8x8) cab. i'm looking for something more portable for practice and small gigs, and i decided it would make more sense to buy a nice small cab, like 1x12 (and use my bass head). about the same $ as a decent practice amp, and better tone. this is only a viable option if you already have a head though.

9. I use a hartke kickback 15 combo. Great combo for the money and a great performer on stage and in the practice room. Set this baby in a corner and you'll have all the bass you need for a good sized practice room or a small to medium sized gig. Also, this makes a great practice amp since you can use the tilt-back feature. Just check one out and see how you like it.

Lowfrez

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    there's just one downside: the TNT is heavy as hell and has just one top mounted handle. If you have to move it often (e.g. home-rehearsal-home once a week) you might look for something lighter...

11. Ampeg BA112 or Fender Bassman 60 both have great tone and are perfectly suited for practice and reasonable volume rehearsal also quite compact

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've used an Ampeg B50R and it is great for practice. Light, sounds great, simple, and relatively inexpensive. I found it simply wasn't enough for rehearsals, though. If you can spend the $$$s, try a Nemesis NC210. It sounds awesome and is plenty loud enough.

13. I would get an SWR workingman's 12, tons of tone in a small box, but hey, that's just me.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd get a Peavey Combo 115.

210 watts, comes with casters (I believe),
    a graphic EQ, and all your essentials. I think it has a few switches on it (ground lift, bright, etc)

It can also be run with an extension cabinet, and it'll produce 300 watts.

I used a Peavey 210TX before I went into the stack stuff. It sounded really good to me. From what I gather, it's pretty much the same thing as the Peavey Combo 115, except the Combo 115 has a 15" in it rather then 2 10"'s.

A popular thing to do with the Combo 115's get a 2x10 and sit it on the top, and then you'll have a more deverse amount of sounds. :)

15. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    As of right now, my ONLY amp is an Ampeg B100R. It's small enough to sit next to my desk, and I've never had a problem rehearsing with it. I usually get asked to turn it down.

I've never played a gig with it, but I've heard some here say that they have.

I found mine in new condition with castors installed, in a pawn shop, and got it for $240.

Dave

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    .......or consider bolting on some side handles and a set of casters.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That's why you just spend the extra $$ and get the Combo 115. :)