1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good pre-amp for PV IPR 1600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Hi, I'm looking for a rackmount pre-amp for the PV IPR 1600 amp. Right now I'm leaning toward the Presonus Studio Channel, as listed in PE. I've seen some stereo preamps that seem interesting, as I want to bi-amp my rig, but not sure if they are applicable in this situation. My max budget is about 300USD.

2. To bi-amp you will need some sort of cross over. I have been checking out Peavey Max pre amps, they have a variable cross over built in. You should be able to find one use well under your budget. What are you plans for a cross over?

If you go full range I would suggest you check out an ART Pro Channel II. Great bang for you buck.

What cabs are you planning on bi-amping?

3. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yamaha PB-1.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depending on what cabs you plan to use, bi-amping may not be the best plan. Most off the shelf bass cabs are full range, so you'd want something like a dedicated sub, mid drivers, and tweet, or similar. otherwise, the choice of a preamp will come down to tonal preferences.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Granted, input sensitivity on some power amps can make them a less-than-ideal match with certain low-output preamps. Still, that should be a non-factor with the IPR 1600's input sensitivity. But in any event (and with all due respect), you seem to be going at this backwards. In your shoes, I'd be looking for a preamp that gave me the sound and features I wanted for a gig rather than trying to match one to the power amp. So, what do you want your preamp to sound like, and what features do you need?

Also FWIW, I used to run bi-amp rigs, but with advances in full-range bass cabs and inexpensive & light high-powered amps, these days bi-amping seems counterproductive on most gigging situations.

6. +1

All that said the IPR is a great power amp regardless of the preamp selected.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My choices would be Ampeg SVP-CL, SVP-Pro, Eden Navigator, or Alembic.

8. Add in Aguilar Tone hammer, gk 2001rbp, Monique....

Fortunately the IPR will play nice with just about everything.

9. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I use an old but good LA Audio MPX1 channel strip with compressor, noise gating and very good parametric EQ. It delivers up to +18dBu so no problem with power amp sensitivity. I'd imagine any similar preamp would have adequate headroom too.

10. BryanB

You are going to have a tough time finding those for under $300.

11. BryanB

Jule's Monique for under $300? Sign me up!!

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I missed that part.

Navigators can be found for pretty close to $300 though.

13. I was kind of supporting you point. If we are throwing budget out the window why not suggest some more great options.

14. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    $300?

This was already suggested, but I bought a used Peavey Max preamp for $100. I've used it with several power amps including the IPR1600. The Max is perfect for bi-amping. It has two channels, tube and SS, with a blend and you can footswitch the channel switching and effects loops. If I recall, it also has a transformer DI.

15. I wish I could find a Max for that price.

16. BryanB

Yeah, $300 narrows things down quite a bit. There are some older Ashly pre's that can be found for under $300 that sound great. Regarding bi-amping, I would not bother. Most modern day full range cabs make it unnecessary. And if you think you are going to use the '80s approach of a 1x15 + 2/4x10, I don't recommend that either. As this has been discussed here hundreds of times, I will not go into it further. Please read the FAQ in this section of the forum for more information or do a search.

17. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I used a BBE 383 preamp for years, and that had a crossover if you do choose to go that way. If you go full range it works that way too. Also has the bbe sonic maximizer on board. I've seen them at guitar center and e-bay well under your $300 price range. I've had great luck with all BBE stuff, for the last 20 years or so....never leave home without it!
    http://www.bbesound.com/products/manuals/383_manual.pdf

18. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    A nice one in NOS condition went for $200 this week on eBay. Almost picked it up. The ProBass 1000 is the pre-amp portion of my beloved MegaBass. That's a good one for bi-amping, too.

--Steve

19. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    I use a MAX and a ProBass 1000. The MAX is warm and tubey (even the SS channel is warm) and the ProBass is HiFi. Love 'em both.

20. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    Lee Jackson Perfect Connection BP1000, if you can find one!

I picked one up on CL a while back for $140. Amazing all-tube preamp w/crossover. I'd love to find a light-weight single-space amp and just make that my rig.