1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good pre-amp to compliment G&L Basses

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Bulltrout, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    First off the title should read complement rather than compliment. I don't need the pre-amp to tell my gear how nice it is :bag: My grammar ain't what it were.

Ok, perhaps this could have gone into the ams forum, but I'm specifically interested in matching a Pre to my G&L's. Right now I have a US SB2 and US L2.5K running into an Ampeg SVP-CL into a Stewart world 1.2 into a Berg AE410.

I'm happy with almost all of my rig, but I'm not really bonding with the SVP-CL. What pre-amps would you suggest, given my gear, to achieve a clear, clean tone with lot's of headroom. I play lots of different styles from blues, jazz to funk and other stuff but always prefer a clean tone. If I do switch, I would have to sell the SVP and could probably throw about $300 US at it, so let's assume a spending cap of $800 US for the pre.

Any experiences, theories or thoughts?

2. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Jul 6, 2008
    France
    Clear, clean tone with lots of headroom?

I'd go for the BBE acoustimax, really.

3. lobamon

lobamon

Mar 4, 2009
    I would track down a 80's Yamaha PB-1 preamp if I were you...
    well I actually just did track one down for myself. :D.
    Its 20+ years old but there is no match IMHO You can dial in any tone and then tune to the room size for optimal sweet bliss for all to enjoy. Non coloring lots of punch and clarity, and hi low stereo or mono output. It may take a while to find one, but wooo hoo hoo when you do you'll be in love.

4. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Hmmm, never even heard of the PB-1, I'll have to look into it.

5. Maj. Lee FUBAR

Maj. Lee FUBAR Supporting Member

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Nothing wrong with the Demeter stuff. I love my Alembic F-1X though. Clean, crystal-clear and waaarrrrmmmm. The EQ is the Bassman-stack, so it takes some getting used to. Very powerful.

7. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Thanks for the input guys - looks like I've got some studying to do. The Demeter stuff looks really interesting.

8. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Just bumping to add that my Aguilar Tone Hammer complements my Tribute L-2500 very well!

9. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have an american G&L L2500 and I use the tone hammer also, it sounds great and does not color my tone.

10. what is it that you don't like about the Ampeg?

11. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I like the ampeg, but I prefer a bit more clarity in the tone.

12. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I have recently aquired a USA L-2500 and the Aguilar Tone Hammer sounds even better with it than the Tribute!

13. I agree on the Tone Hammer, though it's internal in my L-2500 as an OBP-3 without the overdrive. Nice clean & clear sound with lots of control.

This probably isn't what the OP was after, but what the hey! I haven't tried it, but I'd bet I could drive my power amp directly.

Ken...

14. I've owned the Ampeg SVP-CL, the Avalon U5, the Yamaha PB-1, the Demeter VTBP 201s, and the Aguilar Tone Hammer. IMO, this is the order of transparancy I hear.

Aguilar Tone Hammer
    Avalon U5
    Yamaha PB-1
    Ampeg SVP-CL
    Demeter VTBP 201s

The Tone Hammer sounds exactly like no preamp when using my active bass. This is not exactly scientific, but not a bad comparison if you trust my ears.......:smug:

The Avalon U5 is the sweetest sounding of the bunch, but it is undeniable that the top end is smoothed out in a very good way. There really is nothing out there as sweet as this box IMO.

The Yamaha PB-1 is a little difficult to get a flat setting from. You can do a reasonable job with the Fender like tone stack with a setting of 0-10-1. I have kept this one around the longest. It is the most versitile of them all.

The Ampeg sounds like.....well..........an Ampeg!

The Demeter, IMO, should not be considered transparant in any way. I truly don't understand why people think it is. It does a great middy rock sound and that's it! I liked it for what it is but flat it aint.

If I were in your shoes I would get the Avalon U5. It is the king of clear preamps.

All IMHO FWIW