Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good price for a 76 p-bass in UK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Im thinking about buying this 76 p-bass a the bass gallery in london- I have played it and it plays and sounds amazing but im inclined to think that its a bit expensive for what it is- any thoughts? I think its all original apart from the bridge and some work done under the scratchplate...
    http://www.thebassgallery.com/fenderpbass76.html

cheers

Philip

2. Philip

Alex the one who runs the shop and Martin who builds the Sei basses and works on customers basses are both really good guys.

It might be worth speaking to one of them and seeing if they are selling the bass on behalf of someone. If they are, you could ask them if the price is negotiable they may contact the owner of the bass to see if he is willing to come down a bit.

They have sold gear for me in the past and would always ask if I would be willing to come down a bit on the original price if needs be. Indeed I will be dropping my Ken Smith down to them so that they can offer it up for sale for me.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Matthew

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Your selling a smith? How much for? You should have no trouble in London- I had a five string one once-left it in the gallery to be sold and changed my mind the next day and it was gone!

I think I would get the p-bass for about #800 but alex said the guy selling it probably wouldn't go much less...

4. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    From what I have seen on other sites that price doesnt seem too bad, as stated before if you could knock it down a little would be even better!

Steve

5. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah, around 800 is prob quite a good price, you'd get it cheaper up north, but thats London for you basically. worth seeing if you can barter him down a bit. but if its a really nice instrument and you're v happy with it then i should get it as its only cash and a decent instrument will be priceless (cheesey yes, true yes!).

dodge

6. my Smith is a lovely 4 string bolt on BSRJ custom [one of the best Jazz clone's around] with walnut facings. I spoke to Alex and got his advice as to a price that would sell and he said £1300 would be a fair price. After commission I will get about £1100 which I am happy with.

[a picture of the bass is below. Any takers? ;) ]

Good luck with the pbass quest. I looked at the site and it is a real looker so if it plays as good as it looks it will be a monster bass!

Regards

Matthew

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    It does look nice- why are you selling it? At that price it won't sit around for long in london. Ive gone and ordered the pbass- knocked £50 off to £800 which isn't bargain of the year but it has that vintage pbass sound which you can't get from anything else!

8. Hey

Congratulations on your new bass. I think you have a real winner there. You will have to give us all a full review when you get it.

Re my Smith, I am selling it because I now play a 7 string fretless [Sei] and am looking to get a 7 string fretted to go with it. The money from the Smith will go part way to paying for it, also although the Smith is fantastic, it just does not get used [because of its 4 strings], so I would rather sell it and let someone else have it who will use it as it should be rather than stuck in a cupboard.

Regards

Matthew

9. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England