Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good price for a Fender QMT Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  2. I agree with funky. That's the import version right there. the American F/QMT's do not have a switch, just the 5 knobs. They also have gold hardware, which the JB24's do not.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Imported from where? Japan?

4. My gut tells me its an MIM.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, the American ones come with Fender Noiseless pickups, not BassLines.

6. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i think its made in korea!

7. The Jazz Bass 24 is made in Korea. The one I played was, at least. I don't mean to disparage the bass at all. It plays great! It's just not the same instrument is all.

8. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    I agree! ive got a american jazz 4 but i got bad GASSSS!
    for the fmt american jazz 4 / i love the gold hardware and the top is awsome! also im sure the neck&frett board on the us jazz fmt is a hole lot smoother than the Korean bass :D !!

9. The MIK J24 basses are a bit hit-or-miss...but if you get a good one, they really are quite nice. IMO, it's Fender taking a shot at the likes of Carvin, Ibanez & Warwick RockBass, et al, in terms of features and pricepoint: lightning-quick battery changes; string-thru-body or bridge option, and other nice modern touches...plus good ol' Fender cachet. Nobody questions me showing up to auditions/rehearsals/gigs with a J24, except perhaps those who know basses enough to recognize that "there's too many frets on that thing to be a Fender."

I'd love to see a MIA version with a graphite-reinforced neck.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everyone is correct, that is a "Jazz Bass 24" not a USA QMT Jazz. Typical music store price on this made in Korea bass is about $700. It's a very hot sounding very bright very aggressive bass. The one I tried was quite nice looking and well made. Comparable in quality to the better Korean imports from G&L, Lakland, MTD, and others.

The quilt top is paper thin much like my Brice.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The older ones come with fender noiseless, the newer ones come with Samarium cobalt noiseless pups by Bill Lawrence. believe me there is a difference in how they sound!

12. Well, I am wrong. But I have learned to not be suprised by it when it happens. Meh.