1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good price for a hot-roded Squire Bronco?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mambo4, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    i'm curious about trying out short scales...
    I saw a local CL ad for $175 for a moded Squire Bronco

the mods include:
    replaced stock pickup with a symour duncan Hotrails
    switch between humbucker mode and single coil
    switch to roll the tone knob all the way down

is that a good price?

2. Sure, if it's in good shape and plays well. That's a great deal for a short-scale.

3. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Squier Bronco, $150
    Duncan Hot Rails, ~$75
    coil split switch, ++

At $175, that is not a bad deal.
    Try to play it plugged in if you can.
    If you do, both while playing a not and not, listen for any sort of crackling noises while fully exercising all switches and knobs, and don't be graceful about it.

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Go for it!

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    thanKs, I will see if its still for sale.

the seller claims to be an adept bass modder, so I hope for teh best.

6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    imo mods arent worth jack in the resale value

7. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe not on something like a decent Fender, but for an Affinity Squier Bronco the littlest things can make a world of difference. That pickup alone retails for half the price of the bass.

8. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I think this board tends to value mods better than the rest of the world, which is good.

What did those cost new, $100? Id think its worth $125 maybe if near mint.

I just paid $160 for a MIM P with an EMG-P active pickup and a nice fender tweed bag. I know I got a steal cuz its an MIM thats actually a keeper.

Obviously when you mod a bass it becomes your 'baby' and it's typically worth more to you than other folks.

9. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow, that is a steal. Good find.

10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    So I just picked it up, and its a pretty sweet little bass!

I'm wondering if there are any other typical mods one might do to a squire bronco to up the quality, like maybe the bridge...

also, I understand that looser strings is one of the compromises you face in a 30" scale.

I prefer higher tension strings in general, and I think I'd liek to go with rounds ... so what kind of high tension rounds would you recommend for a bronco?

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant

i think of it like doing work on a car.. u put rims and an exhaust on it.. chip the engine, whatever.. u dont get that money back .. u did that for you..

20K for the car 5k for the exhaust 1k for the rims 1k for engine work does not a 27k car make..

this may not be how most people look at it.. but i do

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    D Rokk I get where you're coming from, but If i were concerned about resale, I would never be buy a bronco to begin with :)

I was just curious to try a short scale and looking for a cheap one that didn't sound like crap, which I got plus some useful switches added in.

Now I just need to figure out how to set the intonation when the E and A are using the same bridge piece...

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    get a cheap 4 saddle bridge it will help alot:)

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been working with a couple of Broncos recently. I modded a Squier Musicmaster 4 saddle bridge I got off ebay to be top loading for one of them. The mounting screw pattern for the Musicmaster is different from the Squier to accomodate the string through body feature of the Musicmaster bridge.

It was a chore but it worked after a fashion. I'm thinking I would have been better off just drilling through the body and installing the string ferrules in the back. However, it now intonates very well.

I kept the stock bridge on the other and got it intonated resonably well. I don't play high up so it works well enough.

I used an EMG SA pickup in one and used if for a while but found I liked the tone of the OEM pickup better so I swapped it back.

I installed a Mustang neck from ebay on one and did some neck work on the other, that being dressing the fret ends to the way I like them (stock was ok just not what I like) and I also replaced the pickguard screws with screws having smaller heads and replaced the bridge screws with longer ones.

I accidentally found out that the Squier logo comes off rather easily with steel wool. I was trying to polish the headstock to show off the nice grain on this one and I thought the logo was uncer the finish but apparently I was wrong. I looks good without it but I may just recut the headstock profile to a Telecaster shape just to make it smaller.

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I say a Hipshot Vintage bridge would be killer on a Mustang.

16. More like the Hipshot RIC bridge- the 'Stang's bridge plate is massive and teh same shape as a Ric bridge!
    To be honest, my (sonicaly) stock Bronco sounds amazing through my Yorkville XS400C
    (probably because of the tubes) and I find the cheap-o strat pickup not hindering in the least.
    The volume is even throughout!
    Just my 0.2
    Peace
    :bassist:

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree, mine sound a lot like their single coil P bass big brother.

One thing I've really come to appreciate is the eveness of the response, no dead, hot or weak spots I can find. If only my long scalers could do so well.

RE: replacement bridges...

The string spacing at the saddles on the Bronco is 2-1/8" c-t-c and the Mustang is 2-1/16" so any replacement bridge would have to accomodate that. So far I haven't found one so if anyone knows about a bridge that accomodates the narrow string spacing I'd appreciate a heads up.

Out of curiosity, how do the Hot-Rails sound?

18. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    I use some D'Addario's on mine and it plays like a dream.