Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good price for a Japanese P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 19, 2001.

1. I just saw in the local paper a bass for sale. I called up the lady that's selling it, and she said it's a japanese Fender p-bass. It was taken to a music shop and they said it was worth $810, and she's selling it for $450. My main question is: Did Fender only make P-bass Lytes in Japan, or did they make the regular single pickup design, too? Also, is the neck on a P-bass lyte smaller than those on standard P, in the circumfrence sense, like a Jazz?

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yes they did make regular P-basses
    the P bass lyte is generally smaller and slimmer
    that doesn't sound like it's worth it though! 450 for a P-bass? i don't think so...you can get a NEW Made in America P-bass for around 500 at musiciansfriend.com

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, yes, MF has a Metallic Purple American Standard Precision listed for $499.99. Other colors are $599.99 and up. The newer American Series Precisions start at $879.99. So, if you like Metallic Purple, you can get a bargain.

Having said that, I play a MIJ P-Bass made in about 1985. I paid $400 for it last year w/OHSC. I have been told by various Fender-philes that that was about the right price, i.e., not exactly a screaming deal, but not too bad, either.

There were a lot of different models made in Japan in the '80's and early '90's. The Lytes have the same neck profile as a Jazz. My MIJ P has a C neck and is nearly indistinquishable from MIA basses until you look close. There were also some with factory EMG's, and some with a P-J setup.

4. PLay it, if you like it, offer her like $400, that seems about right

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    As a reference I got an 89 MIJ jazz bass for$ 380 about a year ago from Sam Ash and it is in almost brand new condition. Also on E-bay MIJ p's and j's have gone between $280 and $500. I agree with tallguybcs If you like it and its in really good shape $400 seems fair.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd offer $350, if I was interested. Anything more is a little pricey for a MIJ, IMO.

7. lex_stanson

lex_stanson

Feb 19, 2001
    UK
    Can anyone quote me a price on this Japanese P-Bass attached. It's the Sting version (brand new)

see below