1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good price for a Japanese P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 19, 2001.

1. I just saw in the local paper a bass for sale. I called up the lady that's selling it, and she said it's a japanese Fender p-bass. It was taken to a music shop and they said it was worth $810, and she's selling it for $450. My main question is: Did Fender only make P-bass Lytes in Japan, or did they make the regular single pickup design, too? Also, is the neck on a P-bass lyte smaller than those on standard P, in the circumfrence sense, like a Jazz?

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yes they did make regular P-basses
    the P bass lyte is generally smaller and slimmer
    that doesn't sound like it's worth it though! 450 for a P-bass? i don't think so...you can get a NEW Made in America P-bass for around 500 at musiciansfriend.com

3. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, yes, MF has a Metallic Purple American Standard Precision listed for $499.99. Other colors are $599.99 and up. The newer American Series Precisions start at $879.99. So, if you like Metallic Purple, you can get a bargain.

Having said that, I play a MIJ P-Bass made in about 1985. I paid $400 for it last year w/OHSC. I have been told by various Fender-philes that that was about the right price, i.e., not exactly a screaming deal, but not too bad, either.

There were a lot of different models made in Japan in the '80's and early '90's. The Lytes have the same neck profile as a Jazz. My MIJ P has a C neck and is nearly indistinquishable from MIA basses until you look close. There were also some with factory EMG's, and some with a P-J setup.

4. PLay it, if you like it, offer her like $400, that seems about right

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    As a reference I got an 89 MIJ jazz bass for$ 380 about a year ago from Sam Ash and it is in almost brand new condition. Also on E-bay MIJ p's and j's have gone between $280 and $500. I agree with tallguybcs If you like it and its in really good shape $400 seems fair.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd offer $350, if I was interested. Anything more is a little pricey for a MIJ, IMO.

7. lex_stanson

lex_stanson

Feb 19, 2001
    UK
    Can anyone quote me a price on this Japanese P-Bass attached. It's the Sting version (brand new)

see below