Good price for a used Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 30, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all,

Probaly after the summer, I'm going to be making a bass purchase. I've wanted a Carvin for years, so I'll most likely be looking at LB75's. I'll be looking on the used market (Ebay). I know that Carvins don't hold their value and I see a lot of guys on Ebay trying to sell their Carvins at 95% of retail (give me a break). I was wondering what a good price would be for a used LB75 when I begin looking.

The main options I would like to get are either a Koa or Walnut body (or one of the nice flamed or burst finishes), and a matching headstock.

Also, Carvin users: How's the B string on the LB series? Do you think I should look at the Bunny Brunel models instead as far as good B strings go?

2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The B on my old LB76 matched the other strings are far as tone and feel went. Pretty solid.
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, I totally dissagree.
    I'm always amazed (actually, dumbfounded) at the prices that used Carvin gear does sell for on eBay, considering what you can get the same piece for new (sometimes with free shipping). I see much Carvin gear selling for 80-90% of it's new cost (assuming it's a current item).

I don't get it. :eyebrow:
  4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I had a Lb75 and used it for over 18 years, I loved it, first 5 string I ever had, I had to change the pick-ups it came with the old type {looked like stat pick-ups}but it was a great bass !
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's obviously gonna depend on options as well as other factors, i.e. timing of the sale, condition of the instrument, etc. But I've generally seen them go for about 60% - 70% of the original selling price.

I've played Carvin five-strings in a few of their showrooms in California, but never cared for the loose feel of the "B" strings very much. For that reason, although I own two Carvin basses with a third on the way, all are four-string - no fives. And when I do get a Carvin five, it'll be strung with a high "C" instead of low "B". But in the interest of full disclosure, I don't like the feel of the "B" on most five-strings I play.

You're not going to notice any difference in the feel of the "B" string between the LB and the BB instruments, as both are 34" scale and are virtually identical from a neck perspective - except for the wider, asymmetrical neck on the BB model - which doesn't affect the feel of the "B" at all...

6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, for some reason I always thought that the BB's had a 35" scale.

I must be thinking of the XB's.
  7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    My LB75P has a good B string. I put a round core .125 High Beam on & it flapped like a pissed off worn out trash can. The Prosteel .130 taper or DR custom Fatbeam w/ .130 taper really tightens it up. The Original Carvin strings have good tone & tension too.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's a sweet looking Carvin. That's the second one in a few days that I've seen with two MM pickups. I knew you could get a rear MM option, but I didn't know you could get two.