Good price for Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diomedes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Hey guys, my local GC has an Olive Stingray 4 that is used and the price is $810. The salesman said this one was older one and I noticed around the headstock it looked old. I think it's about mid-90's but I'm really not sure. Could/Should I haggle the price down, and if I should, how?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That falls around 60 percent (+/- a few points) of actual new street pricing for good condition used instruments. I think that is a very fair price to pay if you like the bass. Although, that certainly would not prevent me from offering them less.

I'd guess if you are fully ready and willing to buy the bass on the spot, you could get it for around $750.
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    ALWAYS get them to come down.

But $810 is a decent price for a used MM in like new condition.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  5. i got mind new from a new york guitar center for 800. granted it was on sale for that weekend only but yea. i would try to hangle with it a bit. i was going to get a used one for around the same price and would have if i didnt come acrossed this deal. i think 750-850 is a great price for them used.
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    unless you're truly in love with the color, i would look around, there's tons of used ones on the bay, as well as a few in the tb classifieds. i got mine (black/black/rosewood) new for like $850 when gc was clearing some of their stock out. as for the price, it never hurts to ask. they want your $$$ and they are far from the only game in town for a musicman stingray (which is a fantastic axe, by the way- i love mine). :bassist:
  7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    That bass is most likely metal flake green. That color was only made for a short time around 2000. It should look like this:
    I happened to have bought this one used at GC a real good price. It was marked at $799...I payed less. Mine is a real player and just has a great tone. You should be able to get it for 700. Aske for 650 and see where they take you.
  8. One way to tell if it's an older one.....if the battery compartment is a plastic flip type it's a somewhat newer older one would have a metal cover over the battery.
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've heard that walking in with less (say, in your case maybe 650-700) in CASH may help them change their minds on what they want to sell at. Seem confident, like that's your all or nothing...
  10. Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Thanks for all the help, Smallequestrian you're exactly right, that is the color and I think I'll try walking in with just 700 and asking about that. Thanks for all the help!