Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good price for preowned Alembic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockindoc, Nov 30, 2002.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    How does $1500 sound for a mint 2001 Orion 5 string, with case? AAA quilted maple top, over mahogany, I think. MXY pickups, electronics are not "Essence upgraded". Gold hardware. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I haven't seen to many Orions for sale, but it seems like it could be less. Resale on Alembics has never been that great. List is $2650, so I'd think mint used would go for about half that.

Oh yeah, they're the same price as the Epic. I've seen lots of those on Ebay. No, I don't think I'd pay over $1000 for it.

A used Essence 5 doesn't even go for $1500.

3. check out the Alembic forum for some smokin deals on used Alembics...

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Geshel, doesn't the AAA quilt add $400 to the list price?

5. they dont sell the Orion "model" anymore, but an Orion-shaped Essence with all those features lists for US$4090...

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    damm gershel, that avatar scares the crap out of me. What ever happened to the 'winckel?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh, sorry about the AAA quilt, didn't see that. I'm by no means an expert, but from what I've seen that doesn't change the resale price of an Alembic much (the list on their wood upgrades is ridiculous, anyway - $4700 for a Rogue 6 and you still have to pay an extra $400 for quilted maple??).

R&R, they still list the Orion on their website - where did you hear they don't make it anymore? The Essence is a neck-through, whereas the Orion is a set-neck. BIG difference in list price between the two.

POT, I guess I got tired of the old avatar. I switched to a picture of me, but it was too ugly so I put this one in. :D

8. Orion "body shape" is still available, but the "Orion model" is no longer offered on their CUSTOM QUOTE GENERATOR

have a look!

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Epic and Excel aren't listed either. I think they just don't do the custom-quote thing for set-neck models.

10. ahh... to me, "set-neck Alembic" is a bit of an oxymoron anyway :)

( well, at least a paradox!)