1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good price for used J-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robynator, Apr 21, 2006.

1. I'm looking at buying a used/excellent condition Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass, and curious to know how much I should expect to spend, or how much is too much for that matter. I've found a 1997 for $900, and others for as low as $700. I would hope to spend less than a grand. I've looked on Ebay and in various classifieds, any other ideas for good places to look?

2. All I know is that you should definitely be able to buy a used one for under a grand. I bought a new old stock USA Jazz Deluxe for around $850 including tax. Between 7 and 9 are what I'd expect to pay for a good quality J Deluxe.

3. Another point to consider is that the quality really has gone up in recent years, since they started putting SCN pickups in. I believe there have been a few other upgrades too. A 2005 MIA Dlx would be worth more than, say, a 1998 model in the same condition.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have had both, and I would definitely try to get a 2005. The older one had a little problem with the higher frets, and the 3 examples that I tried, they all needed a complete fret job. The sound was basically great in both (new and old) but the new ones have some nice upgrades, like 5-bols, new pre, new pickups, rounded heel, etc. Well worth the extra $$.

I just lucked out and got a blemished one, 2005, from an internet seller, for a little under $1000.

Fretwork is nearly perfect, minus some rough fret ends.

You shouldn't pay more than $700 for an older one, unless is mint and does not need a fret job.

5. BrunoLovesBass

BrunoLovesBass

Apr 20, 2006
    i found my 1994 jazz bass on ebay for $225, and other than a couple scratches, there is nothing rong with it

6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    A new highway 1 jazz is less than $700 at musiciansfriend. You could get that and change the pickups or something.

7. Thanks for the advice, I think I've found something I'll be happy with now!

8. What'd you get? Post pics?