1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good price to pay for a Fleabass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hairygairy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Hairygairy

Hairygairy

Sep 24, 2012
    Hi,

I'm an intermediate bass player and I'm looking for a new bass guitar. Now I can buy a Fleabass (Model 32) for 192 euro's and I was wondering if some knowledgable bass players could tell me if that's the best I can get for my money. I love Flea and listen to a lot of RHCP music but I've heard some mixed things about the bass so I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

Thanks in advance

2. Keep looking. Fleabass is an entry-level instrument of reportedly inconsistent quality, and you can probably do better for your money.

Where do you live and what are you playing now?

3. Hairygairy

Hairygairy

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I used to play on my brother's Fender Jazz bass but he kicked me off that for some reason (Really I didn't break anything). It has some urgency as I really need to practice for a piece I'm going to play at school for my music class. 200 euro's is my budget atm so I'm really tempted to buy this bass, and I thought it wasn't good quality for it's money and I can get it cheaper now. Really no idea what to do next :crying:

4. Look for used Ibanez, Squier (especially Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series), Yamaha or Peavey.

5. Your brother threw you off his bass because you are getting better at it than he is.

I also would avoid the Fleabass. You can do better for the amount you are looking to spend.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Seems about right . . . You should be able to get something pretty OK for that budget, even new - I doubt the fleabass will be in extreme demand at that price, keep your options open for a bit, but it's probably best if you get a day or two to get used to the instrument before the piece you have to perform.

Let me phrase it this way: I'd avoid letting the ticking clock or the budget force your decision if I could.
    Any alternative instruments, new or used? any chance you might convince your bro to let you borrow the jazz just for the performance (and maybe some careful practice before hand, during which it'll be treated extremely well of course).

How long do you have to get prepared? can you afford to take a hit reselling the fleabass (at say 150, which might be an OK offer . . .) Check it out. . . new @ €199 http://www.thomann.de/ie/flea_bass_street_bass_silver.htm

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have had no experience with the flea bass, however, I was also tempted to get one from Thomann's at that price (didn't they stop making them? or did flea just take his name away?), however, I have yet to hear anyone actually recommend one (lots of mixed opinions but noone actually said buy it!).

I can say that the Squier VM´s are nice, but if you are in Europe, these will be out of your budget (at least new).

The Squier Affinity is inside your range, and I have heard better (although still mixed) opinions about it than the Flea bass.

Also check out www.musicstore.de , they had an offer on a peavey P-bass with thin neck that I was also tempted by (it comes with an starter amp etc.)

For practicing in the hotel, I just got a Jack&Danny Jazz from Music Store for 100 euros, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.

Hope this helps!

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Does flea play a fleabass