Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Nov 15, 2004.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey guys, i've had GAS for a fretless lately and i may have found a gooder. Allright, I'll give you the specs.

4 string
    Top: Transparent amber maple flame top
    body: maple
    neck-thru
    EMG active P/J
    34 and a half "" scale
    vol, tone and blend controls

this bass is completely hand-made and one-of-a-kind, and he gave me a price of $1350 CAD, is that a good deal?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What are neck woods?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk that is a lot for a random hand made bass.

4. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    the neck is maple, the fretboard is ebony

and I know the guy who makes the basses and he makes very very high quality instruments, usually his stuff is around 1800+

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Is the maple used all figured? Is it passive/active? What kinda electronics are going into it?

Is the bass you mentioned used? If it is, take 30% off what it was bought for and you've got a good idea how much you should be paying for it :)

6. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    to rusty: All the top,body and neck are figured, and the electronics is P/J active EMG pickups

anyways, I'm gonna talk to my buddy some more and we may work out a deal, since, you know, I'm only 14 and can't legally get a job to earn money, so I'm gonna ask him to hold it for me till i can earn some money :) it plays so great and sounds perfect.

7. if you are sure of the quality and know the normal goin rate is 1800 then yes, thats a good deal.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Okay.. Dough first, bass later. One you have 1.4 grand in your pocket, then you should start talking about getting a custom bass. Money is easy to make, but it's hard to keep.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Who is the luthier? If they don't have a big name, then their stuff will sell for under US$1000. In fact, even some big name luthiers will still sell for that little. It is hard to attach a value to used hand-made basses. Buyers like to buy from luthiers that they know and have heard of. Put a bass like that on eBay, it probably sells for $800 or less.