Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Sep 21, 2005.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Here is my gigging gear list:

Lakland Joe
    NS EUB

Epifani UL502
    EA IAMP 350

Bag End S15XD
    Bag End S15D
    Bag End S18D

My problem is what do I take to a gig? I've been fooling with the vast amount of combinations that my brain is like mush.

The on the fly switching of the Epifani is awesome but the dial in detail of the EA is incredible. The S15XD and S18D make an awesome combo or are great stand alones. The 2 15 rig is powerful and compact.

With the endless possibility of combinations I am driving myself nuts. I am practicing a lot though

AAAGGGGHHH!

2. What one sounds the best all round with a band, when you dont have to mess about with controls, what one is the one that can best be set and forgotten, that's how i'd choose

3. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have a few bands I play with, but my main band plays everything from dance clubs to weddings so it's hard to say one works in every situation.

I like the EA and a single 15 for upright jazz stuff, the 15 15 combo for funk and the 15 18 for my rock band. The 18 alone sounds great but I haven't had that out solo yet with either head.

A typical night may start out with Sinatra and Natalie Cole with the upright, move into Tower of Power or EWF abd finish off with some motown.

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I had a chance to play the S18 with the Epifani last night, only with the Electric Bass no upright.

I shoot for that Jaco type rear pick up sound and it is almost perfect. Turn the front puck up on and hit the mid cut switch and a nice round slap comes through. Not as bright ala Marcus Miller as the 2 S15's w/IAMP, but certainly sufficient.

It is clearer without a 15 at higher volumes and louder then the dual 15's. Although this is true of either amp and I imagine it is the high RMS rating on the 18 helping that out.

Unfortunately a friend is using my NS EUB for recording so I will have to wait, I suspect the above combo might not be as complimentary but I'm hopeful.

I'll keep posting some results.