Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good punk strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jul 27, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i play for the most part punk on bass. I once has someone tell me that your setup didn't matter for punk, u just needed alot of volume. That is NOT true. I like the punk bass sounds more than any other. Its that plunky bright sound. It almost sounds like your dropping marbles in a pond. I play a spector and a stingray, and i wanted a reccomendation for strings. I play with my fingers and i slap and pop alot, so i just want sum good bright strings, and ideas?

2. Bright strings?

DR Hi-beams or Sunbeams
    D'addario Prisms

...as i read over your signature i see you like blink...try out Ernie balls

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're into the classic punk sound, try some DR Hi Beams as relman suggested.

If you want the real deal, get some Rotosound Swing 66's. Those will give you the vibe. I used those when I was in a touring punk band in the late 70's and so was almost every other punker I knew with a Fender P. The only reason I didn't use DR's though, was because they weren't around at the time.

The EB's that relman points out may be good, too. I never tried them because I've seen a lot of breakage comments about them.

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    D'addario XL's work GREAT!!! They give my Stingray a very crisp and round sound. When I fiirst put 'em on, I had about the same *tone* that Victor Wooten gets :). They're really awesome, and I'd definitely reccommend them for punk. Just my opinion though.

-FSR

5. I like Ernie Ball strings. I havent had any break in about 6 sets on 2 different basses.

Will those Rotosound Swing 66's get a good Sid Vicious sound? Im looking to use my (now) white P bass as an oldskool punk bass.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nomadic - I don't know how they break `em, but there have been a lot of EB users who have said that in the past here.

As for the Rotos, I saw one of the Pistols road crew stringing Sid's bass at the show in Memphis since one of his strings was broken. He had a pack of Swing 66's just like mine right by him. They were the standard at the time. No other string could cut through as well in those days. Same for Entwistle. An article about him turned me on to them around 1970.

7. Well, 'cordin to your sig, you like blink, and I know for a fact Mark Hoppus uses Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys.

I use those strings too, I like em alot. (BTW, I've been playing on Hybrid Slinkys before I even knew MH uses them too, so don't think I'm trying to emulate him, although I am a huge blink fan)

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont like Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. I break them all the time, and they go dead VERY fast. I have a dead E string right now... gotta go buy some DRs or dean markleys or elixirs...

I also use Hybrid Slinkys 45-105, BTW.

9. Well I dont know if Im lucky or something, but I use the Hybrid Slinkys on my P-bass, never broken one. I use a set bigger on my Jazz and have never broken one. I thought after 3 practices my Jazz's strings were dead, but I wiped em off and they were fine. Just kinda dirty. My strings take about 2 months to go dead.