Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good pups for fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have a 34" scale Austin 5 string that I defretted when I got my scpector. Anyway, the output level is extremely week and it has some cheap passive soapbad humbuckers in it. I want to stay with humbuckers cause I like the tonal variety they give, but I'm not sure who makes the best set of pups (for a decent price) that keep the charachter of a clean fretless tone. Right now I am thinking Duncan or EMG..but I am tottally open for suggestions. I am also going to replace the pre-amp and want to put in an active, unless someone knows of a relatively high output passive. I use D'addario chromes (tapewound flats) and put in a brass nut if this helps. thanks!

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Does anybody have any input on this?? Is teh fact that the recent posts on the main page are gone have anythign to do with no one seeing my post??:confused:

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thanx for the input John. I realize that everyone has different tastes, but what i was essentially tryong to get at is find out if anyone knew what brand had a good clean sound for decent price.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    haha sorry about that JOSH. i t was very late when I posted that last night. I beg your apology.:D