1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Quality Gig Bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arpeggiator, Sep 6, 2008.

1. As the title says good quaility gig bag. I have a warwick one but it has fallen apart ofter only a few months :meh: please leave your suggestinos hear. thanks

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have had no issues with middle of the line Road Runner bags or Fender Deluxe bags.

3. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I used to have a few Rockbags since they came with my Warwicks. Until one night when I got home from a gig and the zipper decided to let go and my Thumb BO 5 fell right out of the bottom of the bag right to the jagged concrete on my driveway!! :eek:
    Needless to say, those semblances of fabric and plastic masquerading as gig bags were in the trash in no time flat. Thankfully the wood didn't crack or split and I was able to fill the dents that were created in the bottom of the bass but I never fully shook that horrible experience. :D

I have two Mooradians. A single bag and a double bag. Love 'em both. My first choice for basses now. Best ratio of weight vs. protection I have found.

My Undercover cordura single came with my Fodera and it's quite good but heavier and doesn't have as much storage space as the Mooradian. Straps suck, get folded on themselves and break blood vessels in my shoulder. With different straps this would be a decent bag.

My Levy's leather is a double bag that I ordered several years ago. It was my favorite for the road until I got my Mooradians. Very heavy with moderate protection.

So to summarize:

Mooradian - outstanding weight vs. protection (preferred)
    Undercover - good weight vs. protection but straps suck
    Levy's leather - moderate protection but heavy

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I use Levy's and Reunion Blues leathers and I have a Levy's courdura double bag

5. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    My Levy's bags have always lasted a ridiculously long time - in fact I generally replace them when they're so scuffed up and dirty looking that I don't want to take them to the gig. The zipper and construction have never failed. I have never purchased one of the lower-end models, I usually go for their better ones, but I've never had a leather one.

I wouldn't say that the ones I've used provide a whole lot of impact protection.

6. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do you know a good source for these Mooradian bags? Others have recommended them but I have had a hard time finding them anywhere.

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Unlike Brad above, I've had nothing but good luck with my Rockbag and would recommend them. While I can appreciate the horror of his situation, I would hope that it was an isolated incident and not a flaw in the Rockbag manufacture.

I had a similar incident with a Musician's Friend hard case. The handle fell off as I was carrying it. Thankfully my bass survived intact.

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, Sadowsky usually stocks both the single and double so you can get them from the shop or you can just call Mooradian directly and order over the phone. I got my gig bags from Sadowsky but ordered a Walter Woods bag over the phone since it had to be made to order. Got it in four days.

9. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    Levy's are the best.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Incase. Shocking price but unlike other gig bags, it's sheathed in stiff plastic panels and several layers of heavy nylon and foam so it's really a case (you can't fold nor roll it up). It's probably bombproof.

MAISKESO is (was?) selling some nice looking bags in the classifieds.

I recently got a case of Mono from Jive1 for a great price. Very nice bag with multi layer protection also. Not as solid as the Incase (the stiff plastic panels only cover the bottom and upper halves) but a lot lighter and better looking. The storage is very limited but you're buying it for the protection right?

11. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I've had several, singles and doubles, but right now I'm using a faux leather Gator double. So far, it's holding up well, and offers more than adequate protection.

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've used an Incase double gig bag for the last 7 years and it still looks like new and has been totally bomb proof. It has protected my basses during regular type handling as well as during a couple cross country moves.

Just my $.02.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  14. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I've had good luck with a leather Levy's bag, and still use a couple of cordura Reunion Blues bags I bought in 1981 or '82. I recently bought a couple of bags from Glenn Cronkhite, the founder of Reunion Blues, they are nicer than any I've ever seen. RB Have been made off shore for quite some time now, and as nice as they still are, IMHO the old ones were nicer. Glenn's are beautiful, and quite protective.
    Not cheap but worth it - these bags will outlive you. You can have him make them in cordura for about $120 less than leather, IIRC.

2310628063_96a3834869_b.

2310625033_7f54604812_b.

15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
  16. Depends on how much protection you want...Road Runner is a solid choice for a typical gig bag and offers decent protection. Not like Levy's protection, but they're definitely lighter (and cheaper!) than Levy's as well.