1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Quality Tele Bass Knock-off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nutso42, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Strange question, I know, but I'm looking for a really cheap knock-off of the Fender Tele bass (or the early Precision bass).
    I want the plainest bass I can get, then strip it and replace most of the hardware.

This is pretty close to what I'm looking for
    1971-tele-bass-blonde.

Basically, I don't care how the hardware is; I just want the wood to be good quality.

But I want that shape, slab body and all.
    Ideas?

2. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    A Squier CV 50's Precision, or a Douglas Pisces. You would have to modify the headstock shape on the Douglas. Here is a pic of my Squier ----
    IMG_0490.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1 on the squire... You'd find it hard to beat at that price.

Check this out. about 2:30 if you want to get right to it - I recommend watching the whole thing. It's full of win :D.

I've a CIC fender telebass - it's fairly cheap, but a bit more than the squire. I love the enormous thump from the neck 'bucker:

4. Okay, that Douglas you mentioned seems to be one of the best options
    pisces1bk1.

Anyone know of a bass like this (or any of the above) that have a slab body?
    (if it helps, I'm not too picky about the headstock)

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm not sure where you'll find a slab body without maybe going to Warmoth, but here's another 54 style.

The Dillion 5204, SCPB, single volume/ tone, single coil pickup.
    82c832be.

The headstock is very close to a tele style, mixed with a G&L look. I don't have a pic of the headstock, sorry.

It sells for around $500, new.

6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    The only "true Telestyle" bass I know of is the G&L Asat bass, which has the actual Tele shape all the way. Its the only one I know of for sure. And you wouldn't need to replace any hardware.

Now, if you are really meaning vintage P style basses, with a vintage style headstock, then the best of the bunch is actually the Squier '51 P bass. There is even a forum dedicated to it:

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6568

Seems a lot of people do exactly what you are thinking.

If the headstock really isn't and issue, you can't go wrong with the Douglas, as you get 'em for almost nothing, and you can throw some great mods in and still come in under about $400.

tom

7. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Squier just released a Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass, which I'm amped about picking up ASAP. It does have a 32" scale which may not be for you, so keep that in mind.

They also have a version with a single J pickup at the bridge and an old school mud-bucker at the neck.