Good quality uprights...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Root 5, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    I've been thinkin of gettin me an upright and was wondering if some of you can make some suggestions of good brands/makers.

I would like an all solid wood bass 4/4 size and maybe even in a 5 string version.

Up to about $ 5000.00 US.:)
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Why not have it delivered to your door by Cindy Crawford wearing nothing but whipped cream while you're spinning day dreams! Our gracious moderator did some home work for you. It's the 'Newbie' link that you stumbled over while on the way to starting the new thread. Check it out:
  3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    They offered me Cindy but I preferred Helena Christiansen.
  4. Ray,

Do you consciously attempt to alienate first time posters, or does it just come naturally? Not everyone lives here, like you. Try and remember that.
  5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  6. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    Yeah, you are getting very rough on the new people who come in here. What's the deal?
  7. I will heat up the stove. How many orders of Popcorn are we looking at? Get your orders in early.

Pre-buttered and salted.
    No special orders, Thank you.
  8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Root 5 did not appear "alienated".
    G.P.-Put me down for some of that corn.
  9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Ray is a bad..bad American....!:p :D :p :D

Yeah I'll take double butta' on my popcorn.
  10. Im on a Beer Run....

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off......
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No intention on being rough. I was just pointing out that if you're a newbie and you ignored the 'Newbie' thread that Chris has put so much effort into, then you should expect a little friendly chiding.

Also, I don't really live here. Being a full time musician, I'm home quite a bit during the day practicing and what-not. With the PC online all day, naturally. So during practice breaks and meals, etc, I have time to look things over here.

Any more darts?
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Well, now that you mention it....why would anyone want to name their bass "Isabella"? I mean, it's kind of elitist, isn't it? What's wrong with "Marge", or "Peg" or "Sue"? Are you trying to give every woman with a monosyllabic name a complex? I really think you should give this some serious consideration.
  13. Well, if you really want advice rather than confirmation, tell us why you want a 4/4.
  14. Did you even read all the way through my post?

No special orders, Thank you.

How about giving us a little more info?
    As in why do you want to get a DB?
    What type of music do you want to play?
    And so on.
  15. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    I wanna play Jazz.

I've made the common assumption that big bass = big tone.

What do you think of the Clevinger Concerto?? I'm not sure whether to go for a doghouse or get a solid electric Clevinger, Azola etc.. I like the look of the Concerto.:confused:
  16. So far, all I can recommend is that you slow down and do more reading.
    No, it does not correlate that big bass=big sound.
    Next question: why 5 strings?
    Offhand, I can think of only one jazz player worth a hoot that uses a 5, and that's Frank Tate, with a low B. Maybe Vinnie Burke had a high 5th string.