1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good racks...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 9, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I'll be buying an Amped SVTII Pro pretty soon, and I need to get a new rack for it. My current rack is a USA Case plywood non-ATA thing I bought 10 years ago for pretty cheap. With the Ampeg, I NEED to protect it.
    So of the racks on the market, what would you recommend for overall good construction and price?
    SKB
    Gator
    Carvin Brand

I've read about the Mesa Shock mount, but never saw a pic of it or a price. I bet it costs a good penny for what it is, but I hear it's worth it. I want to get a 6-space rack (the Ampeg is 4 spaces and I have a 1-space tuner, and I'll leave one space for something else...) The Shock mount doesn't come in 6-space.

2. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    yeah does anybody have any pics of their mesa boogie rack case?

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not a big fan of the plastic racks when things get heavy.

I of the cases I have, the Road Ready is as nice or nicer than the Anvil.

4. Could always leave 1 space between the tuner and SVT for heat reasons?

Im soon to be getting a Road Ready 4U Shockmount case for my SVT-II non pro model, which will mean they are over 150lbs together :s

But they are meant to be really good :)

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Unless one is doing heavy touring cartage or plans on pushing wheeled cases over the lip to tumble down flights of stairs, is the extra weight of a shock case worth it? ; }

6. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Jessica Simpson, Scarlett Johansson, Tyra Banks...wait a minute...

7. +1 :D :bag:

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Here is the Mesa/Boogie sus-4 model. These cases are very well built.
    The amp mounts to a bracket that is suspended by 8 shock absorbing rubber mounts. the case is extra wide and tall, (for tube amp vent space) 24" wide x 18.5" deep and 11.75" tall, and mine weighs in a 40lbs (ouch).
    There is a big storage bag attached to the inside of the rear cover to hold your cords and gig stuff.

If you dont need the top and bottom cooling clearance, this case could be adapted to hold 1 or possibly 2 extra rack devices.
    These types of cases also cut down on amp vibration from the cab,(a very good feature for tube amps).
    View attachment 32621

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These racks are awesome. I got mine through Ebay from a Canadian distributor. This one is a 10 spacke rack unit. $300 for it shipped and all. Got it within a week. If you want wheels they have a kit for $60 extra. I just took 2 2x4's and threw wheels on there for like $20

http://stores.ebay.com/ROADCASE-EXPRESS

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I dig my locking gator rack, but be aware that their locking system can leave some rack rash because of the teeth on it.

11. find a local cabinet maker and get them to build one for you.

dirt cheap and effective.

12. Pfft, im getting it for the peace of mind of my tubes, altho they would probably be fine otherwise, and mine is only going to be just over 150 lbs so no need for wheels can just lug it about :spit: