Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Read about Gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, May 29, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FYI- Hal Leonard Publishing has a pretty good book out by Billy Mitchell titled, "The Gigging MUsician: How to Get, Play, and Keep the Gig," 158 pages.

The information includes interviews with people who have been at it a long time. A lot of the content is relevant to posts I've seen on TalkBass.

- Part 1. "You," covers aspects of landing a gig, stage fright, fear or rejection, women on the road, planning, sticking to it, and dealing with things that can stall a career.
    - Part 2, "Your Band," includes the value of togetherness, relating to other musicians, dealing with/being a band leader, and making progress with the band.
    - Part 3, "Your Gig," includes guides for recording, keeping a gig from being a meltdown, handling money, punctuality, and drugs, all from interviews with people who have "walked the walk."

I flipped through a friend's copy, but have it ordered from Amazon, ($12). The info is more philosophical rather than a practical, step by step, "how to." Otherwise, I might have known the shirt I wore onstage at this city's annual river festival, was offensive to some people.---

[​IMG]

2. Thanks Rick.

There's been alot of questions about gigging, and I know that I, for one, appreciate the suggestion.

*sigh*

Another book to go buy :D

FF

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My pleasure, gents. At least it's a lot cheaper than G.A.S. or gas.