Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good reading about Fender, Ibanez, G&L, although mostly guitars, also pertains to bas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Dec 26, 2001.

1. I found this guy to be informative and straight to the point, check out those beautiful guitars and basses.

Click the links on left about Fenders, Ibanez, G&L, ESP and especially about American made Fenders and how the Japanese ones are actually better made than American ones and Fender did not want the public to figure it out, so off to Mexic they go.

Interesting reading, spam him if you want:D

Here is the link

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_fen.htm

2. Also interesting reading about superstore like Guitar Center, Sam Ash and Manny's of New York(hmmm, I did not know that Sam Ash owns Manny).

And about Gibson guitars, interesting. Although this guy may sound pompous, I learned a lot from his articles. Now how about that Ernie Ball?

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Many out there say that Ed Roman is a world class A-hole. I would not trust him.

4. Really? He sounds pompous, it's good to hear from both sides:D

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Supposedly, he bad-mouths G&L because they took away his dealership license because he was over-charging.

6. Just wondering for people who works at Music Superstore, is it true what Ed says about them?

And how did he get all those gorgeous guitars and basses then?

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A quote from Ed's Ibanez page:

"I am discontinuing carrying most new guitars made in Japan or Korea..."

Not a shred of truth in that statement. From many reliable sources I know, Ed had his Ibanez franchise cancelled for numerous reasons such as poor customer service, and copyright infringement such as his Fake Joe Satriani "Donnie" and "Rainforest" guitars (2/3 down.) He's also had several Better Business Bureau complaints lodged against him for non-refunding of money.

It's funny - for a dealer who won't take questions from "11 year old Ibanez Lovers who have no lives and nothing better to do," he"ll certainly take massive amounts of their ca$h. Check this link out (1/2 down.) Let's do the math:

17 (models of JEM's)/$140,000 = $8235.29 each!!

Ed Roman is a viper. He deserves no one's hard-earned money. :mad:

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    By skimping on his *ahem* "models". Have you taken a look at them? They give the crack whores a bad name. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek:

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    theres a bit of truth and wisdom in Ed Roman's opinions but you have to filter them from the tons of patronzing, self-worship, dising of every thing etc. etc.

he reveals a lot of so called "conspiracies", but he seems more concerend about the genuinity of the tone woods and inlay material than the actual timbre of the instruments (could be he doesnt give a damn about tone, like most 80's rockers he seems to be affilated with).

take everything he says with a grain of salt, this man is in love with himself and while I'm sure he is very knowledgable and skilled at making guitars (and selling them!) he is very extreme and fanatic about his ideas too.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A big "AMEN!" to what leech says. Much of what he says is self-serving and almost all of it is opinion.
    Much of it is written more for effect than to inform or to prey on the gear-tech ignorance of the gguitar world.

For instance - his spiel about the virtues of old, submerged, wood. Read what actual luthiers say about it and you'll find he hasn't done his homework.

Another is his knock on the super stores. Yes, a lot of his dissing is true. But guess what? - the Guitar Centers of the world have been successful by giving many people the best deals they could find.

Read his stuff as you would the editorial pages - with an independent mind. Your experiences are just as valid as his.

11. What is up with this guy? He's a genuine ******* (if I'm not supposed to say that...sorry, get me to censor it). All he has to say is trash about every big-chain company there is. Yet, he advertises there guitars with skantily-clad women! What the hell?! :confused:

12. wow, simply amazing...he should change his name to Hypocratatic Anal-Raper

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, but look at that 4-ply abalone and gold binding!!! :rolleyes:

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My favorite part was how, on principal alone, he refuses to sell new Fender products, EXCEPT during Christmas, when mommy and daddy want to buy their kid a Strat. Still a buisnessman at heart, I suppose.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I have serious doubts about his claimed sales volumes. If all those things are going out the door, why don't we see more of his type stuff in use?

16. So is fender made in America as good as what people believed them to be?

Just wondering.

17. i cant wait till he makes a jaco bass.kidding he tells the truth about some thing and lies about other things.