Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good reason to have 2 basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blackmetal27, Apr 13, 2002.

1. hey i need some good reasons to talk my dad into letting me get a second bass

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tone, sound, number of strings, and here's a good one:

Tuning and re-tuning strings, like a step up or down, constantly, for different songs on one bass wreaks havok on strings, and at 20+ bucks a set, it's be cheaper in the long run to get another bass...this is of course, only works on parents who think the next bass is gonna be 200-500...anything higher, and that one doesn't work...

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Back-up.

It would suck being on stage, and breaking your A string in the middle of the set, not having another bass to pick up and get you through. That's what you could tell him. :D

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Tell him half the people on Talkbass have 5 or 6, and some have 15 or 20, and that a second bass is not only needed, but expected.
    Doc

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A second bass is the first step on the way to having the correct number of basses ... 41. I only have eight.

6. 1) It stimulates the economy.

2) The other kids are buying crack instead.

3) Tell him that if should, you know, you have a kid or something, you want to be able to play bass with him or her...and by the way, dad, have you ever considered how much fun it would be to enjoy grandkids before you grew old? No, no, purely hypothetical, I'm just sayin'....

7. As long as it's your money, tell him that you want it, and if he's got a problem with it, he'll get knifed in the face in his sleep. :D

Or you could just go behind his back and buy one like I did for my first bass.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Since you've only been playing for 9 months you may need to first convince yourself that you NEED a second bass, as opposed to just knowing that it would be cool to have another bass. My guess is that your dad is trying to hold out to see just how serious you are about bass. Anyway, here's a few ideas on why some people NEED more than one bass.

* If one is fretted and one fretless, it will allow for a broader use across different genres of music.

* If one is a four string and one a 5 or 6 string, the 5 and 6 strings give you extended playing range. The four will, for most, be easier to play and can be used when you don't have to have the extra range.

* The idea of having alternate tunings available, as well as "broken string" insurance are both good suggestions that were made earlier.

* More experienced bassists can tell the difference in tone from different fretboard and body materials and different electronics setups. Many chose their basses accordingly. Again, since you're new to the instrument, that one'll be a hard sell with your dad.

To restate my earlier point, you need to first make certain you understand why you want or need a second bass and that you are capable of communicating that to your dad. If you don't believe it yourself, there's no way he will.

Peace,

James Martin

9. Convincing your dad you need a second bass is probably gonna be easier than me convincing my wife I need a fourth.

Reasons, tone, # of strings, etc. You could also argue the P vs. J vs. MM vs. P/J vs. P/MM vs. J/MM etc.

If your dad is a musician, bring that into the equasion. If not
    :D

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used to have bad dreams about getting a really cool gig and my bass falling apart on stage and really screwing things up. Once I bought a second bass the bad dreams stopped, soooooo you could wake up screaming in the middle of the night every night until your dad agrees to let you get that 2nd bass. ;)

11. You haven't tried The Shoes Argument?????

You know... "Having one bass is like having one pair of shoes."

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    #1. Because it's your money that you earned, not your parents'.
    #2. Because you've been working to save up for college and have it worked out that you will be able to do this and still get a second bass.
    #3. Because you volunteer at a homeless shelter twice a month and have a true appreciation of how fortunate you are.
    #4. Because you plan to make a living (or at least semi-pro) playing bass and the second is a solid investment with an acceptable Internal Rate of Return.
    #5. Because you plan to play a volunteer gig entertaining with the local Social Services Bureau doing shows at the youth detention centers, the retirement homes, and orphanages.

You may want to demonstrate to him that you are not just some kid who seeks instant gratification. If it is your money...he still has a say in how you spend it. He's (assumption) trying to raise you with a strong sense of vales. If you want him to buy it, then I really feel sorry for you.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with ZuluFunk. My dad bought me my first 2, and my fourth. Then I bought him a guitar. and i bought myself an amp, and i built myself a cab, and I defretted my bass, and Im building a bass.

Ever since I started doing it myself Ive felt a lot better, so does my dad. Besides I work with him and my grandfather.

Ever think of that? Maybe you could work for him, earn money and then buy it.

BTW A good reason is to have a back up for strings or busted electronics. After i got caught in that situation, my mom understood why i didnt sell my four when i got my five.

(only works if you gig)

Nick

14. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    That might work if this was his mom and not his dad :D

He doesn't want you to waste your money into bass playing is what it seems like. My parents are the same way. They want me to get into a band before I buy a bigger amp or more basses. They seem to forget this law they laid down because I talk about buy something new and they seem to be supportive/positive about it.

The best way to convince him is to show improvement. My parents were convinced that I am going to keep playing the bass when I showed them how I was doing. Learning to play all types of music also helps. If you learn songs they know, they will recognize your ablility alittle better.

Don't worry if this thing doesn't work out right way, I only have 1 bass so I'm just a peasant in the talkbass community. :(

Also, if things go your way, make sure you get the right bass. I know I change my mind about a certain bass every month.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That was my thoughts, too. Why do YOU need a second bass? If you don't know, don't expect your dad to understand.