1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good record store/instrument retailers in Boston, Chicago and D.C.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Hi guys

I'm going on a bit of a trip to these areas in the next couple of weeks and want to visit some music stores and stuff while I'm there.

Any recommendations?

2. see about a tour of the lakland factory near chicago

3. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

+1 and Reckless Records in Wicker Park....
    Make N Music on Fulton, Chicago Music Exchange on Lincoln
    Ave has mucho vintage Fenders :cool:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Newbury Comics in Boston on Newbury St. (it's a record store). Only record store I've ever been to that had F**K albums in stock.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
  7. thanks guys any more?

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That vintage fender shop = holy crap. I've been there once and thought "man, i've never saw this many fenders before."

Not sure if you dig Classical-but the Chicago Symphony/Orchestra Hall is @ 210 South Michigan...i'm biased though-i work in the Store.

9. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Where are you staying while in Boston, and/or will you be renting a car?

Within walking distance of most Back Bay hotels is the Berklee School of Music. On Massachusetts Avenue across from Berklee, you'll find a decent sized Daddy's Junky Music which has new and used stuff. The Guitar Center in Boston is a little further out on Commonwealth Avenue which might be a little hike from most hotels. You could also take the T - it is not my favorite GC but it has tons of basses.

Two smaller funkier shops that are accessible by public transit are Mr. Music in Allston (lots of great clubs in this area as well) on Harvard Avenue and Cambridge Music on Massachusetts Ave in Cambridge.

If you like drums, there are drum shops near Berklee and if you like horns, woodwinds and strings, there are shops near Symphony Hall that specialize in those.

P.S. - you know it is winter over here now, right? I hope this is a business trip. As much as I love Boston, Chicago, and DC - there are other places in the US that I'd rather visit in January. :D

10. I dont know of any music stores in DC, but there are two in MD that arent too far from DC. Chuck Levins, in Wheaton MD and Atomic Music in Beltsville.

11. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I almost forgot Dusty Groove on Ashland Ave. Chicago
    They're also online www.dustygroove.com

12. The Bass Club in Chicago. Bass only store. Basses and amps. Heaven on Earth!!!!
    122 nd and Cicero south
    They have a website with their exact address and phone. I just know how to get there.