1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good recording forums?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In the past I have leaned a lot of useful information over at homerecording.com, but that forum seems to have largely dried up. Wondering if there are useful recording forums that people frequent these days. I mostly work in Logic on a Mac these days, but am considering getting a Zoom L12 as well.

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Yeah, Gearslutz is pretty much the Talkbass of audio engineering. That's my go-to.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
  4. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    I actually learned more talking offline to some of the experts I became acquainted with on the AMPEX mailing list. I don’t have an Ampex machine anymore, and I haven’t really stayed up with goings on there, but I do still chat with some of those folks.

Another place of merit is recpit.net. Bob Ohlsson moderates one of the forums. I think a lot of folks who hung out on Recorderman’s “The Womb” before it disappeared check in there now on occasion.

And I second the recommendation of Tape Op.

Otto

5. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    I find Gearslutz to have a pretty high noise level.
    PRW doesn't have as much activity but if you got questions they've got
    no BS answers. And some very solid engineers hang out there.

PRW

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    GearSlutz is an excellent resource for recording.

The JWSOUNDGROUP is a board for type type of audio professional who does location recording for ads, movies, corporate productions, network and local news, etc. The pro gear they use is on a grade well above what is usually discussed in TalkBass. You get some interesting inside views on the biz, tips etc. Best not to speak up unless you have something valuable to say. They don't appreciate "amateurs" on their turf. :) Main Board

Also, don't overlook the boards run by vendors who make the gear and software you buy. For example, today I just cross posted a question about how to use Presonus Studio One's Chord Track to trigger a virtual instrument to play arpeggios based on a selected pattern in the Arpeggiator. Put it on GearSlutz and the Presonus board. (No answers yet!) It's a technical question that only people using the product are likely to have an answer. GearSlutz happens to have a sub-forum dedicated to Presonus Studio One. That's not noise -- it's focus!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  7. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    And I likes this.
  8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i used to be more active there than I am now. haven't posted / read those forums in years to be honest. they used to be as good as the magazine.