Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good recording software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Trevorus, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's my setup:

a compaq laptop
    Edirol usb audio interface
    external analog mixer

What's a good recording software for doing some garage band type recording?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Cakewalk Home Studio is my favorite. Very easy to learn and has more than enough capability for most projects.

3. I've been spending time trying out all sorts of pay software via demos and friends, and wasn't finding anything too amazing. Then I tried audacity! free and it suits my purposes well. (that is nothing too complicated!) I don't know how well it works with audio interfaces in the like, I've just tried it with mikes

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I need something with plugins and such. I am familiar with Acid Pro. I really liked that, but Iw ant something a bit more powerful.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm using Adobe Adition at the moment. Heaps of cool features, easy to use, and expandable with VST plugins. And you can use the trial version past it's trail period (30 days), as long as you keep Audition loaded in Memory, and you close Windows down in Hibernate or Stand By mode.

6. werebunny

werebunny

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm doing a degree in Music Technology at the mo, and use all kinds of software.

I would say, personally, that either Logic or Ableton Live is the way to go. You can do so much more in both of these programs than just record (sequencing, synthesising etc.). Do a google.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I like Mackie's Tracktion and Cakewalk's Sonar family.

8. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    +1 on the Adobe Audition. I've been using it for quite awhile, and it has everything (well, most everything) you need for a home project studio.

~John

9. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I would try Audition and see how you like that package. We've been using it for a long time, I started with it back when it was known as Cool Edit Pro. It's very good for multi track recording, mixing and editing. If that's what you're wanting to do it's great, you can use Direct X and or VST plug ins and it comes with some pretty good stuff built in too. We use it with the Waves IR-1 reverb and it's perfect.

10. + 1 on adobe audition - bloody great software (I've heard its the industry standard for radio remixes???)

Its great, U can record, add/mix effects, extract vocal from a band thing (kareoke), extract instruments from band thing (bootleg remixes) - and you get all the reverbs, delays, compressors, flangers, eq's, pitch bends to get you started nicely...although you don't get any VST or DX plugins with it

...buy it, you'll never think about protools again once you know how to use it :cool: :bassist:

11. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Mackie Tracktion . . . simple user interface, and comes with a motherload of free VST's, including Amplitube LE, and a special version of Acuma Final Mix made just for Tracktion.

12. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    want copies of Cool Edit Pro 2 (adobe audition) AND/OR Nuendo V2.1 for cheap? send me a PM

13. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    Adobe Audition for PC, Pro Tools for MAC.

End of story.

PG

14. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Cubase SX or SL dep on how much money you`ve got, Easy to use, good sounding

15. Sonar! :bassist: :bassist:

16. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I'm loving logic.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Sonar.

18. One more vote on tracktion 2