Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Recordings with an Envelope Filter?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mz91, May 14, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am going to buy a EBS BASSIQ and before i got it i wanted to get together a couple of lines together so i could test the Pedal. Basically, i would like to get a list of songs where the envelope effect is really apparent in the Bass line so i can compare to something. Thanks alot. M

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters - "Chameleon"

Why do you have to play lines that originally had envelope? Why not just play? Just curious.

brad cook

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    chemeon had an envelope filter? i did not know that...i dont know why but i guess its a confirmation to me when i can sound like something familiar to me and can kind of check in my mind. like "ohhhhhh so that is how he made that sound." i know its confusing but i just want to be able to play a song that has that sound..sorry for the confusing post. by the way thanks for the post. mike :eek: :confused:

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well it is an envelope filtered sound, but the filtering is part of the Minimoog tone - it's definitely not a bass guitar through an envelope filter pedal.

If you want to hear some quality envelope filtering, check out almost any Parliament album - Chocolate City's got Bootsy squelching like a maniac all over it!

Alex

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ahh yes...I think this knowledge was lying somewhere in the depths of my mind but I did know that at some point.

Either way though you can play that part passably with bass through envelope.

brad cook

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Praxis has a song called The Interworld and the New Innocence where Bootsy plays a envelop filtered solo. Lovetone Meatball, I believe.

Great band, by the way.

7. I could be wrong, but I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Sir Psycho Sexy" has Flea playing through an envelope filter.

8. haiku

haiku

Apr 6, 2002
    among other things,
    flea plays a bassballs pedal.
    check out "coffee shop."

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not that impressive of a bassline or song but "Too Bad" by Nickleback. The envelope filter adds a lot to the song... if it wasn't for that stupid assed chorus, I'd like that song.

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, that would be the case. Great tune.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A lot of Bill Laswell stuff uses envelope filter (or perhaps pedal wah). One of the tracks on Praxis' "Warzawa" live album is Bill gettin' down and funky wit' it. On Bill's dubby tracks he often uses the reverse autowah effect (which sorta sounds like "haw"... sorta).

The BassIQ has reverse wah. IME it's trickier to use... probably because I hardly ever use it! It does sound cool for dub reggae... I wish I got to play dub!

12. Hmmm...don't think Bill uses a downward sweeping EV filter, at least not that I know of. He of course does use the ultimate dub tool (IMO!); the DOD FX25. Once you set it as close to what he does the distinctive sound becomes readily apparent. It's that classic Laswell bass tone...unbeatable. I believe he uses a wah as well. I for one didn't find the BassIQ that great for what i do. My Mutron III and DOD cover all the ground and with a much wetter, squelchier and cooler tone. the EBS by comparison is a tad dry and safe, to me at least. the "attack" knob can give you some seriously synthy, Boss Slow Gear-esque effects which I really enjoyed.

[​IMG]

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I too share your affinity for the FX25. I was looking at the pic though and I have a question. DO you usually keep your sensitivity that high when you're playing dub? I use mine occasionally for dubby lows (in non-dub music) and I usually just turn my sensitivity all the way down so's not to trigger the filter and just get that down-low goodness. When you play dub do you trigger it?

brad cook

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A great example of a bass playing through an envelope filter is Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz.

15. Heck no, that is just some webshot. I like to keep mine set so that both knobs are at noon. I do like to trigger the occasional "bwap" abd you can here just that at the weblink below? "Transonic" is a good example.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Aren't those DODs the ones that are running real cheap on musiciansfriend.com? I was wondering if those are any good considering how cheap they are.

17. "any good" is a mighty subjective term of course. I thought mine was such a POS when I first bought one that I promptly sold it. Later i started reading about this dub trick and (rather sheepishly) went out and bought another. I couldn't play w/o mine now. Make no mistake; this is not the best choice for a stand-alone EV follower.
    Any who use their FX25 for the "dub thing" compare their metallic green one to the newer FX25b w/ the blend control? I have heard that it lacks the same "tone" of the FX25 making it not so great when used for dub bass. If it was the same, it would be interesting having a clean blend.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hmmm do you have any recordings? Or does anyone else?

19. yep...Flea. Both posts above are correct I think and also the song 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' on Uplift Mofo.

'Sir Psycho Sexy' rocks! That's one of the funkiest bass grooves on record. :D

20. You mean of using the FX25 as a dub box? Oh yeah...check out my weblink below? "Transonic", "welcome new clothes," and the last of "Struggle" all feature it prominently.