good reggae songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Feb 19, 2002.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Hey anybody know any good reggae songs/bands. check out steel pulse any of there stuff is cool, one of my favs is "Klu Klux Klan" (did I spell that right?)by them (and no its not a racist song it dissing the kkk). peace;)
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Any song recomendations for big sugar
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like Adam Sandler's Piece of Sh!t Car. :D
  4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    LOL, that song is funny.:D
  5. "I shot the sheriff" by Bob Marley, is classic and a cool bassline too.
  6. This is the CD
  7. I and I Survive - Bad Brains
    Exodus - Bob Marley + Wailers
    Legalize It - Peter Tosh
  8. For a good sampling, get Bob Marley's "Legend"...
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are many reggae "cover" bands in South Florida. You can almost always count on them to play "No, Woman Don't Cry", "Get Up, Stand Up", "Redemption Song", "Stir It Up" and "I Shot the Sheriff."

From Steel Pulse, I like "Roller Skates" and "Earth Crisis."

From Shaggy, I like "Mr. Bombastic."

An exciting reggae band I saw a couple years ago was the "Reggae Cowboys" who had a lot of very memorable tunes.

Also, check out the work of Jimmy Cliff, Gregory Isaacs, Aswad, Skatalites, Black Uhuru, Buju Banton, The Maytals, The Wailers, and Shabba Ranks.

There is a monthly reggae magazine that has all the latest news, tours, CDs and reggae merchandise. It is worth checking out at least one issue because the reggae scene is constantly changing and evolving. This magazine will keep you ahead of the crowd on reggae trends.

Oh, there are reggae web sites, too. One even has a radio station so you can hear the latest music.
  10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    look-if your getting into reggae, you HAVE to buy The Wailers "Babylon by Bus". It is the quenticential
    Marley recording IMO. Also check out Burning Spear, Culture, Peter Tosh, Eekamouse.......I could go on for a while. Do yourself a favor and buy that album.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of course anything by Bob Marley, but I would recommend Black Uhuru's album Red - great songs and grooves from Sly and Robbie!

Would it be sacrilege to recommend some reggae-rock cross-overs? Like the Police's "Bed's too big without you" or even Steely Dan's "Haitian Divorce" or "Babylon Sisters"!
  12. I really like Steel Pulse's song "Blues Dance Raid".
    The bass is really easy. It switches between E minor and A minor scales.
  13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    That album has always given me a lift. That particular version of "Punky Reggae Party" is my favorite Bob tune. You have good taste my friend;)
  14. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dyer Maker by Zepplin has a raggae-ish vibe to it.
  15. Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    If you want a good introduction to reggae then buy "The Harder They Come" (The soundtrack to the film of the same name). It has songs by Jimmy Cliff, The Slickers and The Toots.....classic stuff.
  16. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    TOOTS! I forgot about toots. Classic stuff.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    whoo baby, am I glad I did a search on this. Im starting to get into Reggae now, in fact Ive been considering joining or forming a reggae band of my own. There arent that many in the tampa clearwater area as far as I know and Id think with all the clubs on the beaches here it'd be a good idea.

Bop what were some of those tunes from Reggae Cowboys? I'd like to check a few out.

Bruce can you recomend any particular songs off the Red cd?

Ive got Bob Marley's Legend and its got some great stuff on it IMO. And Ive been learning quite of few of the tunes off of it. And some that arent on it like Iron, Lion, Zion. Thats one bad jam right there.

Thanks for you're help.
  18. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Smash...Mad up's to the Bad Brains! "Quickness" and "I against I" are so utterly MOSHABLE! Who would have thought Reggae and Thrash would go so well together. But for Reggae, it begins and ends with BOB(and the Wailers), of course.
  19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Bad Brains is a very unique sounding band. I give them a big thumbs up.