Good Reggae

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bentem, May 3, 2003.

1. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Im a big fan of Bob Marley, but what are some other good reggae artists? And any good recordings?

Also, what ws the name of the bass player in the Wailers?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really dig Black Uhuru! Puma was one of my favorite voices + you can't cut a groove any deeper then Sly & Robbie :cool:
  3. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Aston "Familyman" Barrett not only played Bass in the Wailers but helped create to reggae as a seperate musical genre.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Along with those greats already mentioned...Flabba Holt from Roots Radics has played on a ton of great reggae sides. Clinton Fearon is another great roots player. Any old Wailing Souls recordings also have great basslines:cool: BTW I heard Familyman won his suit against Rita Marley for back royalties...yay!!!
  5. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    yeah?!! SCORE!!!
    that's excellent, he seemed pretty damn pissed off with her and Bob's offspring in an interview i read.
    The man is a legend. I was obsessed with the wailers at the same time i picked up the bass....learned ALL his basslines, most of the marley tabs here are mine (and sometimes wrong :) ....i was young)

You know, a boy could do worse than learn the foundations of bass-playing from Familyman, the king of knowing EXACTLY what to play and WHEN not to.
    (Have I gushed enough about him :) :) )
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the recomendations, i downloaded some burning spear, And isreal vibration, pretty good stuff. Also today, i picked up Legend, the best of bob marley and the wailers.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Definitely check out Steel Pulse.
  8. Interested in Pre-reggae jamaican music?

The Skatalites, Toots and the Maytals, and Laurel Aitken are divine.

Edit: And Desmond Dekker *oops*
  9. I dont know if this is all reaggae, but its all reggae influenced and its all excellent:

Linton Kwesi Johnson- LKJ In Dub

DeFacto- Legend of the Four Tailed Scorpion, Megaton Shotblast

Lee "Scratch" Perry- Anything

Skatalites- Anything
  10. And King Tubby, I forgot that.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Really? I'll have to check that out! Is it all dub?

brad cook
  12. colforbin

Nov 10, 2000
    Taj Mahal, Mo' Roots is a very good reggae album. Tajs' roots are in the blues, but he does a great job with reggae on this album. I highly suggest it.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The Soundtrack to the "The Harder They Come" has a good collections of Jamaican artists...
  14. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    look for live LKJ btw, much better stuff imho, but the best dub examples from them are in the studio stuff.

steel pulse is essential listening, imho, no doubt.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I really love the R&B flavored Reggae of Third World. Richie Daley grooves hard. Look for their album from a couple years ago entitled "Generation Coming". Great stuff!
  16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Let's not forget Toots and the Maytals.
  17. Good reggae?

I think they're called "WD-40" or something.....

18. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Man there is so much reggae out there that it is hard to narrow it down.

I recommend starting with a compilation of various artists. A great one is "The Story of Jamaican Music", and there is a similar one called "The Reggae Box".

Also there are a lot of Studio One compilations out there that are really nice. Studio One is the biggest studio in reggae history. Almost all of the greats passed through Studio One at some point in their career.

Some greats that have yet to be mentioned:
    Horace Andy
    Buju Banton
    Keith Hudson
    U Roy
    I Roy
    Dennis Brown
    Jackie Mittoo

and there are many others.
  19. leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  20. Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster (Jammin')" is my absolute favourite reggae song.

...and when I was about 13 years old I loved the album "The Youth Of Today" by Musical Youth (hit "Pass The Dutchie")! :D