Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good rehair in Michigan/Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by travatron4000, Sep 4, 2004.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in Marquette MI, which is in the Upper Peninsula. The only Sting Luthier that was up here moved to Louisiana this spring. So I'm asking where is the best, close place to get a good rehairing? I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of days to ship it but I was just wondering where would be the best place to go.

Trav

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My favorite rehair is Mike Shank of http://www.ShankStrings.com in Elizabethtown, PA. It'd be the same distance for you as anywhere else by mail. Mine's going out Monday for a rehair...

3. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    thanks i got in contact with them. they suggested that i not go with all black hair because my bow is carbon graphite.

"We generally rehair with white that has a good bite, but we can also do a mixture of black and white, or all black. We generally do not recommend heavy hairing on carbon graphite bows as it clogs up the responce. "

what do you guys think about this? and how do you like their hair?

Trav

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Other than a Kolstein rehair a year or two ago Shank is the only one that I've had rehair my bow since 1999. I've used both the 'grabbier' white and the stuff that uses for smaller fiddles and like them both. Since I've gone to cello rosin (and little of it) and am using Spirocores (although solo gauge) I've had the grabbier white and will be getting it put on this time as well. I've never used black hair, so nothing to say on that.

5. Sue Lipkins is a medal-winning bowmaker who does rehairs at a competitive price. The whole thing from Fed Ex pickup to Fed Ex delivery takes all of three days. The whole issue is a no-brainer to me.
    e-mail = sue@ulster.net