1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good, Reliable Tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TMart99, Dec 22, 2011.

1. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I'm looking for two good bass tuners, to use for live shows, rehersal and recording projects.

I like to hook 'em up to the back of my amp and sit them on top of the amp.

Don't do a whole lot of drop tuning, but having the capabilities to do so (even if it's just one or two songs) would be a plus.

Looking to stay in the $150.00 and under range.

There's so many out there, just looking to get an idea of which are good quality and reliable; so I can narrow down the choices.

What do you guys use (brands/models)?

2. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Boss TU-3 is the only decent one in that price range. Its great on stage. I'm moving to a Peterson only because its better and more precise for recording and seems to be better for doing bass maintenance. If I get the Peterson for Xmas, I'll sell you my very lightly used Boss for a good price.

3. rogerb

rogerb

Aug 31, 2010
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    TU3

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Sonic research turbo tuner is tough to beat, for size, accuracy, versatility. Plus you can read it in sunlight!

6. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Peterson stroboflip is a nice tuner. Little above your price range but once you own one it is hard to go back. You will have to re intonate all of your basses after ;)

7. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Thanks so much, guys.

That was very helpful.

I decided on two Sonic Research Turbos.

8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Joyo makes a Pitchblack clone that I use- cheap and works well!
    look on eBay

9. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    I use TC Electronic's Polytune, under $100. It is a chromatic tuner that allows you to know which strings are sharp/flat by strumming all strings simultaneously. I use it between my guitar and amp and use it as a "mute" pedal when I set my bass off because it has a completely silent bypass function. Anyway, it's what I use.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I realize you've already made a decision, but have you considered a headstock tuner?
    I hear the Planet Waves ND mini is really good, though I can't attest to it myself, atm. (hoping to get one for Xmas) It's a steal at $29, especially if its as good as they say it is.

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
  12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    What I prefer about stomp box tuners is the mute switch. I'm either tuning or I'm playing. Having that switch right there helps me avoid mistakes - really helpful if you're playing in a theater pit or a church or something like that. I guess my feeling is that if the bass is plugged in anyway, taking the electrical signal is preferable to an acoustic interface.

I think headstock tuners are great for acoustic guitars, but for electric guitars and basses I have a definite preference for the tuner working on the electrical signal.

This is not intended to be the last word on the subject, but it will take a lot to convince me to change.

KO

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    this. everything else is...meh.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Totally disagree - TurboTuner, Polytune, and Pitchblack are all better tuners than the TU-3, and all less than $150...

- georgestrings

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Really like the Boss TU-3.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I disagree. I prefer the TU2/3 over any of those. The Peterson Strobo Stomp can be had used for around $100 too and it is miles above every tuner mentioned in this thread so far.

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Korg pitchblack for live

Korg handheld (the black one) for home/practice.

Both are tough as nails. The handheld one does burst into pieces when dropped though, but it always goes back together and keeps on truckin!

18. I got this and love it. It's designed to stay on the bass - the clip design doesn't allow easy removal. It's tiny, accurate and easy to use.

If you want just one headstock tuner to switch between basses, get a snark.

The mini has a little trouble picking up the low B string every now and then. The snark seems to do fine with a low B.

You can buy a lot of headstock tuners for $150. I paid less than $20 for my mini shipped. Check out buy.com and amazon.com for good deals.

19. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    A few years ago I went on a tuner frenzy... I worked at a music store and ordered 1 of every tuner I could get..

basically.. ended up with this revelation

Other than the old Peterson Strobe tuners ( best I came across )..

the Turbo Tuner did the most accurate job and was easiest to use as well.

The Korg Pitchblack was good but the footswitch would come loose and fail too often.

The digital Peterson tuners were just weird. Strobotuners.

Boss tuners not very accurate and seemed to alter the sound of bass as well. :(

I did all my testing against a model 420 Peterson Strobe Tuner.

various headstock tuners were ok, but weren't accurate enough too me.

I had not tested the Polytune or the new Boss TU-3, so I can't say anything about them.

I now own the Planet Waves NS mini headstock tuner and it is quit better than the other headstock tuners I have.

For normal gigging any of the above tuners are fine, considering the normal guitarist is NEVER in tune anyway.. LMAO!!!!