Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good replacement speaker for an SWR cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by U2Kent, Mar 20, 2004.

1. U2Kent

U2Kent

Mar 20, 2004
    Well, I let a good friend borrow my SWR Workingman's 15" combo amp for a couple months and he managed to blow the speaker :mad: :crying: , we've tested it and know that the problem lies in the voice coil, and not the amp, I'm having a hard time though getting information on what a really good replacement speaker for this cabinet would be. The amp is one of the first generation Workingman's amps afaik, I bought it probably like 6 years ago and have babied it ever since because I've never really needed anything bigger just being an off and on bass enthusiast and only ever playing smaller venues. I know that Fender recently bought out SWR, and the speaker that they said they usually use in their workingman's 15"s now is a 200 watt eminence. Can somebody please please help me with suggestions for good replacement speakers for this? I really just want a pretty nice sounding speaker that I can hopefully get in the $75-150 range, I was super happy with how the amp sounded before it was blown and unfortunately I'm not well enough versed in speaker lingo to articulate what I liked about it's tone, but if you've ever owned one maybe you know. Thanks in advance.

2. U2Kent

U2Kent

Mar 20, 2004
    I'm going to bump this in hopes that someone can help me decide on a speaker so I can replace this one soon.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    U2Kent I'm going to suggest you get the speaker re-coned. There are a number of reasons why I think this way:-

1) It's the only way to get your old sound back, and you did mention that you were happy with the sound.
    2) Speaker design can get quite technical. It's is often difficult to find a speaker whose Thielle/Small parameters make it a good match for the cabinet you've got.
    3) Assuming you get lucky and find a speaker, chances are the porting will need to be adjusted. This is especially difficult on cabs like SWR, Eden etc which have shelf type ports.
    4) Believe it or not, the re-cone will be the cheaper option. Having said that, I'd also think about sending your mate the bill..........
    5) Re-coning eliminates any potential mismatches between speaker, cab size, and porting. The designers at the factory have already taken all that into account.

Any good re-coner should be able to handle it. They should be able to track down the right bits & pieces to do the job properly.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What he said. A recone is $65. tops. Its your
    speaker, only new. Cheap and good!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
  6. If you decide not to get the speaker reconed and go ahead and buy a new speaker then I would give Dave at Avatar a call. I had a Workingmans 4x10 that the voice coil blew on one of the speakers and he got a super good deal on a brand new replacemant Eminence for it. I only cost me like $45 shipped to get a new 10", so a new 15" would probably be at the right price for ya. Oh, by the way, his website is www.avatarspeakers.com if you've never been there.

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've purchased speakers (10") from Carvin in the past and been very happy with them. For a while they got their speakers from PAS (same as most SWR cabs). I think that they get them from Eminence now. I believe that SWR and Carvin (and probably everyone else) go back and forth between them for speakers. Probably depends on who's quoting the best $$$ deal at the time of negotiation.
    As someone else mentioned, Avatar would also be a good source
    What ever you do, don't order it from SWR (pretty much retail price).

8. Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:17 PM
    To: swrcustserve@fenderusa.com
    Subject: Speaker Recone

Hi!
    I need to have the 10” speaker from an older Triad cabinet reconed. Could
    you please let me know how much it would cost to recone this speaker.

Thank you.
    dave

Hi,

You may have heard that SWR has recently become a member of the Fender family of musical instruments. We’re very proud of SWR’s products and will certainly continue to produce quality SWR amplifiers.
    We’re not able to provide reconing services, but you can order new speakers from your local Fender Dealer. The link below will take you to our online Dealer Finder which will help you locate the nearest one:
    www.fender.com/resources/dealerfinder
    If you have any trouble locating the parts locally, you may be able to order them from Music Parts Guru at 847-202-5185.
    Thanks again for choosing SWR.
    Best regards,
    John Shannon
    Consumer Relations

Please remember, when corresponding via e-mail, to include the text of any prior related contacts. Given the volume of e-mail we receive, it is very helpful to have this information as a reference so that we may serve you in as timely a manner as is possible.
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 7:11 AM
    To: John Shannon
    Subject: RE: Speaker Recone

We’re not able to provide reconing services, but you can order new speakers from your local Fender Dealer.

You’re kidding, right?

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry and your interest in SWR.
    No joke.
    You might check with Audio Design Service at 818-754-0467. They used to do factory service for SWR, and may have still have the resources to help with a recone. Also, most major cities have shops that provide reconing services, you might check into that route.
    Best regards,
    John Shannon
    Consumer Relations

Please remember, when corresponding via e-mail, to include the text of any prior related contacts. Given the volume of e-mail we receive, it is very helpful to have this information as a reference so that we may serve you in as timely a manner as is possible.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Coupla things:-

I wouldn't bother going back to the manufacturer to get a recone. They make more money if you buy a new speaker, so that's what they'll try and persuade you to do. Instead, find a good speaker repair shop, tell him what you want, and get them do it for you.

As for buying another brand speaker and shoving it in, good luck. Cab size may be similar but porting won't be, so you'll end up with a missalligned cab that may or may not sound OK. It certainly won't sound the best that it can. Before you make such a move, let me run the speaker cab math for you to optimise your purchase.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, a ported cab is designed for a given FS and you can't plunk any speaker in there. Any cab is designed for the speaker it's loaded with but ported cabs don't have much tolerance for a different speaker design.

Never occured to me about manufacturers handling a recone - which I would bet a chunk they don't do themselves since they don't make them to begin with. And would explain why it would be so expensive. Just check around for a reputeable guy locally. If you were in Charlotte, I could give you one.