Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good replacement tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nightbass, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What's out there that would be a good replacement for a burned out Fostex 025H05 (OEM part number)? It's a low-cost black plastic horn tweeter from a Roland keyboard amp, 8 ohms, 50W, 3" square. A 4" could be retrofitted.

Something efficient, rugged, smoth, and between $20-40 would be nice.

I'm not into tweeters at all so I'm not familiar with them. Hopefully some of your fellow DIYers can recommend something from PE.

Thanks,
    Nightbass

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Have you used any of them?

3. Peerless 811647 is a nice uprade in my Avatar B212. It used to have a Fostex. I'm not sure if these have been recently discontinued or not.

99db silk dome about $30

4. I believe the Peerless is discontinued....

I haven't yet used any of the horns from Parts Express, though I have used many of their other drivers. I think many of their drivers are buyouts from OEM lots, and certainly the Parts Express drivers are no worse than some of the drivers I've seen in commercial speakers...in other words, even if you buy their cheapo $6.50 horn (#272-104), it'll probably be comparable to what you had.

For a few more bucks you could get a horn with a phenolic driver. How about their #264-240, for $27.23? It's a Selenium 4x4 with a phenolic diaphragm and 75 watt rating.

5. I use a Selenium 4x4 horn like the one that Nashvillebill recommended but I used a DH 200E compression driver with it instead of the DT150 driver that comes with the tweeter.The horn(264-306)is$7.30 and the driver(264-225)is $29.33.The driver I used has a Titanium diaghram instead of the tweeters phenolic diaghram so it has better high end extension.Either one will be an upgrade to the foster.I installed mine in a Avatar 410 Neo cabinet and just had to square off the round hole a little bit to fit the square horn.Made a big difference in the high end,much smoother.