Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good riffs to jam to

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stascc57, Dec 9, 2004.

1. I jam after school with a great guitar player, drummer, and harmonica player and am running out of some good riffs to start jams with. One of us usually comes up with a good riff but other days we can't think of anything to play.

If you could, could you recommend some blues, funk, or rock songs with a good riff that all four of us can solo around.

thanks

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Well, first and foremost, your other band mates should try harder to come up with stuff to suit what you are coming up with. It'll make you all better as musicians. But I always find that going back to the bassics is good.

Try some James Brown, RHCP, Marcus Miller, or John Paul Jones esque stuff and let them jam for whatever feel they're going for. A really good song to go crazy in but still be within your limits: Won't Get Fooled Again.

But again, if you're coming up with riffs and they are unable to come up with anything to suit it, then they aren't good enough. If someone plays something I don't like, I always come up with an appropriate bassline before I say, "Let's try something else."

-Eric.

3. Anything AC/DC my friend. "Back In Black" would probably be good.

4. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    cosmic slop - funkdelic (ultimate groove sharpener)

5. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    Cat Scratch Fever. Except, we all chant "catch that beaver". We live in Oregon ...so we mean it literally. :cool:

6. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    I've always liked jamming to "Sympathy for the Devil," particularly with musicians that I am unfamilar with. Everyone can stretch out on that.

Clapton's version of "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" is another that gives everyone room to move and it is a fun bassline.

Jam on!