Good rig for 2200-2300$ american

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StarchMan, Jul 30, 2004.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I ask a nice few questions here on a weekly basis about amps. The thing is that due to my location I am unable to try outany gear that is considered "high end". Dropping my Ampeg V4BH and SVT 15E cab within the next week or two to flat out buy a new rig. Used gear is hard to come by as well. So, my local music store will match any price in Canada, therefore I can get a good street price no these items. Here are the things I'm looking for:
    1) enough volume to play small-medium sized bars and have good tone (headroom is important) and compete with a loud drummer and a Marshall JCM 800 2204 half stack (4x12)

2) enough low end and highs to make my Warwick Streamer LX 4 shine. I really dig the tone that Dirk Lance and P-Nut have. I need something with balls, but enough clarity to be heard. I do NOT follow the guitarist much at all.

3) the music I mainly play is rock/alternative of sorts, but there are a lot of different elements in our music. Jazzy, progressive, etc. parts that I need to have one sound for that will suit all.

4) something that will not require constant hassling with. I am a student who is going to law school in 2 years or so and I don't want to be replacing tubes every year. I jam twice a week for 3-4 hour periods. Other than that, I play my bass without amp at home.

5) TONE. I want something defined and thick sounding. It's really hard to say. Maybe refer to my genres?

Some considerations I've made:
    SWR 750x
    EDEN WT600 Road Runner
    MESA M-PULSE 600
    MESA 400+ (there actually is one used for $1650 canadian that is in mint condition and has a roadready type casing. The flight one taht is also a rack. I just worry about tube replacement...)

As for cabs:
    Eden 410XLT
    SWR Goliath III
    Mesa Powerhouse 410
    MAYBE an Aguilar GS410 if I can get it here..not sure

Any opinions would be excellent. I can NOT get an 8x10 so please don't suggest that haha. Too damn bulky.
  2. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Oh and I'm not including taxes in the prices I quoted. Taxes I can handle above that quote.
  3. i don't know how available bergantino is up there, but if you could get your hands on an HT-322, you'd probably have all the cabinet you'd ever need. it's about the same size as the other cabs you've mentioned.

my personal preference is for an eden head instead of a mesa head, but i've enjoyed m-pulse heads well enough. of course, if you're feeling ambitious, you could also try for a pre/power setup. i'm sure you could get a sansamp RBI used for relatively little, and there are plenty of inexpensive, good power amps to be found, since weight isn't a priority. you might be able to maximize headroom and tone for about the same money as a head. but you've chosen some nice heads, so there's no need to deviate from plan unless you really want to.

4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... competition sucks, doesnt it? I'm playing against a Marshall AVT150H over a 1960A Cab. It's definately no JCM, but it cab drown you out.

I ended up with a QSC power amp. They'll load you with a ton of power and headroom, and you can seek the great tone from a great Preamp. Possibly an Aguilar or Ampeg, for the more tube-based preamps. In the end, that'd probably cost you about $900-$1300 American (new). I actually made my guitar player have to turn his gain up a touch, and I wasnt even pushing my gains at all :D

I played through a 400+ for the first time last week. HOT D@MN is that a sweet sound! A lot will depend on your taste though. You do have to care for tubes and stuff, but the 400+ seems to be much more reliable than the SVT2-Pro (which is pretty much it's Ampeg counterpart). Or there's Aguilar... but they're price range is kind of ridiculous.

Cabs... Well, there's more Ampeg options, but I wouldnt go with them. Seek out Eden, Bergantino, and maybe SWR.
  5. nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I just got an old Mesa 400+ a few weeks ago, and sweet does not even begin to describe it's tone. I just retubed it and that does suck. Unfortunately I bought it used off of ebay and the tubes in it were in less than stellar condition so there was $300.00 i hadn't planned on spending, but after hearing the tone it was money well spent.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'll probably start sounding like a broken record.....

Tech21 RBI or RPM preapm $300 USD
    you could probably do better on preamp, but tech21 is great budget and quality sound for the money.

Stewart World 1.2 or 2.1 power amp (stereo or mono) $640 for 1.2

ANY aguilar speaker cab $400 to $1000 (personally like the gs112 for portability and H-U-G-E sound, two are great, never played them in a bar though....I've heard they do the trick for some)
  7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    If boutique pieces can wait until after your an attorney, you may want to think good solid state for now. Good tone, very dependable and less cash. If your willing to trash an Ampeg rig you may ignore my thoughts, thats cool. But if you liked your Ampeg you may think of keeping the head and getting a larger cab. The SVT15E is not enough speaker surface to get you by- live. You need more cab. That 100 watts will sufice with enough speakers to throw more air. But again if a new, trouble free head is in the plans you could not go wrong with the SVT350H sitting atop an SVT810, 610HLF or SVT410HLF. Price ranges from 1350.00 to 1650.00 depending upon cab choice. (dont forget to check Ebay) Good luck in school........
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown Pre
    Schroeder 21012 cabinet
    and best power amp you can swing with the rest

9. You're in St. John's right?

Have you checked out Music City? They'll certainly match the 'Stop or anywhere else for that matter. They're carrying Eden, GK and Genz Benz. How about a GBE600? People rave about them.

Out of all the heads, I'd pick the 400+ because it's simply a kick-ass amp. Tube replacement isn't something you need to worry about if it has new tubes in it. You should be able to get plenty of years out of a set of tubes if you take care of the amp. I still have the original 6550s in my '76 SVT and they're still quite good.

Out of the cabs you mentioned, I'd take the Eden or maybe the Mesa. Have you considered the Ampeg SVT 410HLF? It's got more low end than any of the others you mentioned. I actually traded a Goliath III for one a few years ago because I thought it sounded much better. I just might be shaking it in the near future because I just bought a Bergantino NV-610.;)

I'd think it would be hard to go real wrong with any of the combinations you have there, though.
  10. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Yessir, I'm in St. John's. I was kinda set on the Eden WT600 Roadrunner and Eden 410XLT. However, I'm just not sure if there is enough headroom in 600 solid state watts.
    I'd love to have hte 400+, but getting the Mesa tubes and the price on them is kinda scary.
  11. Me too... Well, Manuels actually, but close enough...:D

Well, you don't have to get Mesa tubes. In fact, I think you'd be better off without the Mesa tubes.:D As long as the tubes fall within the acceptable bias range of the amp you can use them. Retubing shouldn't be much of an issue.

I haven't used the 600 but a friend of mine has an 800 and it's loud as hell through a 410XLT (and sometimes a 210XLT). I think the 600 would likely be loud enough for most situations. It's a real nice sounding rig. Lots of thick, but not overbearing, sweet top end. A little polite for my particular liking maybe, but still great sounding! :D
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Brian Barrett in Memphis ( has an excellent condition 2nd hand Bergantino HT322 for sale (I think he still has it). You would be hard pressed to do better than one of these cabs. Drop him an email and check it out.

Get a BBE BMax-T or Tech 21 RBI preamp and a QSC, Crest, or Stewart power amp and you'd have a killer system.

13. Getting stuff here from the US is, unfortunately, very expensive (taxes, shipping, duty), so unless the price is really good it might not be worth doing.... Of course that didn't stop me from ordering an NV-610 from Boston...:D

I really want to hear a 322....
  14. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Hi Mark,

I can hook you up with our distributor up there, he might be able to get you the BMAX-T tube pre at a good price.

The solid state version, simply called BMAX, is an even greater value and sells new down here for under 300.00USD

Inbox me if you need the dist. number.