Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cyklone777, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Does anybody know where I can get a new head & cab type rig for under 1000 bucks? I mean like what brand? I was looking for like a head above 200 watts, and either a 4x10 or 8x10 cab. My band has been playing many gigs and I've felt dumb cuz I've had to borrow someone else's rig every time. Help!
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Carvin My friend.
    RL1000 Series III (Hey .. 1000 WATTS!!)
    And a 410T, if you add about 200 More.. your will have a FULL Stack!!

Other option could be Ampeg, a B5R Head and a BSE410 Cab could be very good
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am not sure if I remembered to tell you all how much I love my new Carvin rig. Mmmmm *smooch!*

I bought my Carvin Combo for $475 used. It is 600w into 1x15 and 2x8. Could have got it brand new for about $900. You can get the combo that includes 2x10 instead for $800, then tack on a 1x18 and the total is $1000 if I remember right (when you buy em together).

Now you mentioned a 4x10 or a 8x10... don't know how much extra it would cost, but if you got the 2x10 combo and added a 4x10 from Carvin it probably wouldn't be much more than $1000 and you would get 6x10 speakers and 600w driving them. :)
  4. Yes...I actually have some Carvin catalogs and I've been browsing through them...they look really sick. Might check out that shxt!
  5. JohnA

Mar 21, 2000

I tried a carvin head / 4x10 combo once and didn't really like it. It was a while back, so I don't remember what my particular gripe was. Go play everything you can find, and then decide what do to get -- for that much you could get a 1 or 2 year old used unit for almost any manufacturer.

It's definitely all about opinions. I traded in my under powered trace elliot for an eden metro. That same day I tried euphonic's iamp and a few of the ashdowns but for me it came down to swr or eden...

6. Carvin's 4x10 goes down to 60Hz. I don't remember what the frequency of a low E or even B is -I've never been good at physics- but it is lower, isn't it?
    So would you get enough low-end reproduction out of the cab?
    You could, of course, get a 15" or 18", but let's say you want 2 4x10s.
  7. I think that Carvin amps are ok but I've heard that the cabs are very inefficient so even if you get a good amp you'll have to crank the volume up, whereas you might get the same volume out of a better cab with the amp volume set lower.
    You might not be too crazy about buying online but I happened to see an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro Amp Head(450 watts) and an SWR Goliath Sr.(6x10 at 1000 watts) for about $1100 total at Bass NW. Pretty good combo if you ask me.

[Edited by belair57 on 02-03-2001 at 03:45 PM]
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Go used my friend!Iam a broke ass bass player and have been for about 16 years now!I had about 15 hundred to spend i went out to look for used crap and was very very happy!I got a used harkte 2500 head and a swr 4-10 goliath for 300 hundred!yes!That ruled!plus i have a very old peavey 15 cab!got it for around 200!and then got on ebay and bought a warwick corvette pro-line foe 500!cant get much better than that!
  9. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I got an Ampeg B2R, and an Reissue Anniversary 410 cab for around 1100, after tax. That was new out of a store, you could probably do alot better used (that's how I got all my Eden gear, saved a bundle while I was at it.)
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Nobody's said it, so I will :D

Peavey. Best 410's in the world, when price and performance are factors. I actually prefer my Peavey 210txf's to the SWR and the Eden ones, money NOT considered. Someone pointed out the specs on the Carvin cabs, and they're dead right, the Carvin 210 and 410 cabs SUCK for low-end reproduction. The Peaveys are +/- 3db @ 30hz, and that's lower than a low B (~31hz). I can tell you from a LOT of gigging experience, the Peaveys both sound great, and are as bullet-proof as possible.

If I were to make a recommendation, used: T-Max head (sadly out of production now :( ) + 410txf cab (avoid the tx's if you can, they're good, but the txf's are MUCH better); new: Firebass head + 410txf or 410tvx cab.

The best advice you've gotten here is to go play through everything you can find (even stuff you KNOW you can't afford). Get an idea of the sound you dig, and then GET IT!! :D
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I second Gard's recommendation on the Peavey stuff. And Eric Atkinson's on going used.

Amazing how cheap you can often buy nearly new gear for (1/3 to 1/2 original price), except, of course, stuff like vintage Ampeg SVTs and stuff.
  12. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i would suggest a peavey 1820 for a cab, don't get the one from bassnw, that one is mine (counting coins in pocket, darn). For a 200 watt+ head? fender bxr-200, bxr-300, gk 400rb, swr workingman 300, peavey mark ones, a musicman/ ampeg/sunn mid 70s 125+ tube amp would be louder most 200+ watt s.s. (some 300s too).
  13. Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    My suggestion, stick to used and go with a better brand. Don't settle for Peavy or any other "guitar company's" bass amp. Get one from the guys who know what's up...SWR, Ampeg etc. (don't mean to offend anyone, just my experienced thoughts!)
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

I A/B/C'd my Peavey rig next to an Eden and SWR rig of similar specs (power, speaker config, etc). Same room, same cord, same bass, same hands, same ears (mine and a good friend whose ears/taste I trust). I had the money to walk out with any of them, no sweat.

I left with the Peavey. Why? To MY ears (and to the ears of my friend), the Peavey blew the SWR away, and was easily the equal of the Eden stuff. Couldn't justify purchasing the Eden just for the name when the Peavey sounded just as good for less than half the money. I certainly did NOT "settle" for Peavey :p. (I recently did a gig at EPCOT in Orlando, with supplied backline - Eden WT 300 + 410 XLT, and my bandmates were telling me they wished I brought my amp instead :D).

The SWR never got in the running, had this weird upper mid spike in the cab (410 Goliath II) that just would not go away, and I HATED it (some guys may like it, to each their own :) ). Even tried mixing & matching cabs with different heads. Nothing fixed it. The head was good though (SM 400), just overpriced and not measurably better than the Peavey T-Max I ended up with.

Time has justified my choice. The Peavey continues to sound great, garnering astonished looks from all other players. Having spent the last 6 years since it's purchase beating the crap out of my rig (the rack it lives in once fell 6 ft onto a concrete floor, it didn't even blink), I've never had one failure. Shared a house gig (5 nites a week, 6 hrs a nite) with another band in New Orleans on Bourbon St., and the other band's bassist was a confirmed Eden man. He was constantly blowing drivers in his 410 XLT cab, and having to borrow my rig. Best money I ever spent was getting that amp and ignoring the prejudice others had against the Peavey name.

Bottom line, buy with your EARS, not someone else's opinion. :rolleyes:
  15. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Amen, Gard.

As to the "the guys who know what's up...," has anyone been reading in this forum about some of the problems people have been having with their new, very expensive, high-end SWR Mo' Bass amps?

So much for knowing what they're doing...

No dis on any of those manufacturers -- I've played SWR, Eden, EA, Ampeg, and loved them all. But their stuff is frightfully expensive and is not immune to quality problems.

And remember -- the dude in the original post, Cyklone777, was looking for a rig for under a grand.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Thanks jcadmus :)

...quick story about my rig...

A few years ago, the band I was in (and am back in now ;) ) was auditioning drummers. This cat came in set his kit up and looked at my rig. Then he turns to me and asks, "So when are you getting a REAL amp?", thinking he was a real wise-ass :rolleyes:. Two minutes later, he was saying, "Uh, sorry dude, that IS a REAL amp!" LOL :D

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey i cant say anything!I have a very old peavey 15 cab from the 70s sounds awsome never givin me any problem!But i also have a goliath II its a real bad ass two!Someone said go with what you like other wise you will never get the sound you want!
  18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Gard, I am with you when it comes to the sound of the Peavey 410TVX/TXF - Better than SWR and just as good as Eden to my ears.
    However, I am put off by the 97db sensitivity rating of the Peavey 410 cabs. Eden, Nemesis, and SWR all have sensitivity ratings of 103db and higher.
    In your comparisons, with tone not being a factor, did you find the Eden and SWR rigs to be louder than the Peavey rig? I own a T-Max, and I would eventually like to get a FireBassII, But I would not like to need a FireBass head to get enough volume out of a Peavey 410 cab.

(This post is directed towards Gard, but all other replies are welcome. Gard, thanks in advance for a reply. cyklone777, sorry to weasel in on your thread :oops: ).

[Edited by Slater on 02-06-2001 at 11:24 PM]
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hot DOG! Ws this new, or used stuff? If it's new, I'm in the gold, because I can count on it being (or ordered there) if I ask for it...Please tell me it was new stuff...
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Slater -

You weasel!!! ;)

I hope Cyklone777 will be able to forgive you one day.... :eek:

Well, I didn't carry a dB meter with me the day I was trying the amps out, so I can't give you a technical answer to your question, BUT...yes, there was a very slight but audible difference in volume, when using the same amp and settings from one cab to the next. It wasn't enough to make a huge difference to my ears, nor those of my compatriot, just enough to be noticeable if you were THINKING about it. It certainly wasn't enough of a difference to make up for the tonal difference between the Goliath II and the 410tx (this was before the txf series), nor was it enough to make me pay twice the price to get the Eden D410XLT. If you prefer the tone of the Peavey, get it, I don't think the difference in sensitivity is enough to be a deal-breaker, but if you're not sure, arrange an audition and use your own ears to make the decision.

Something to consider: the T-Max will run at 2 ohms. You COULD get two 210txf/tvf cabs (which are 4 ohm cabs) and use them like a 410, thus getting ~500 watts of power into 2 ohms with the T-Max you already have. That should be enough power to keep up with just about anything. In addition to the power advantage this would give you, it also gives you a couple other advantages. You can stack the 210's on end, and that will give you the sonic "footprint" of two 410's stacked, you'll have a speaker near to your ear so stage monitoring will be easier for you. Also, according to some of the things I've read (do a search at the TBL website for some of the posts by Rick Turner), a vertical array of speakers is more effective in producing low frequency tones. To my ear, this is true, I've set my cabs up in a "standard" fashion so that they look like a 410:

O O
    O O

and then also set them up so they're arrayed vertically:

There IS a difference. I've been using this exact setup (running my T-Max at 2 ohms) for 3 years now, it's great, give it a try if you can.

[Edited by Gard on 02-06-2001 at 05:40 PM]