Good Rig (I Think?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greatcrimson, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    I’ve decided that my Nemesis 115 combo is not meeting my needs so I’m in the market for a new rig. I have a G&L L2000 and I play progressive and other forms of Rock so after reading everything I could; I’m leaning towards a Sans Amp RBI with a Stewart 1.2 power amp and an Eden 210XLT and maybe a 1 15 cabinet down the line.

Anyone have this setup? Does it kick booty or whine and whimper ?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got an Eden 2x10 XLT and I must be honest. It's one of the best 2x10's on the market but it probably won't do it justice using it by itself, especially in a rock band environment where the volume is going to be reasonably loud. You'll miss the bottom end of the 15. I'm probably gonna get yelled at for saying this but this is how I see it.....

a single 15 may be similar in size to a 2x10 but they sound nothing like each other. A 4x10 approaches the bottom end of a 15 and gives extra punch in the mids and highs. 2x10 are best used as extension speakers or for quieter gigs.

So I'd either get a 4x10, or run a 15 with a 2x10 together.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Pete--I agree with you...these are my present options and I use them just like you described. I use my 2x10 alone very rarely--but I also compete with 2 loud guitarists.
  4. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    I can understand the need for the 15 and I do still have the Nemesis 1 15. Perhaps I could use that as an extention with a 2x10. Probably need to re-wire it though.
    I'm also torn between the Eden and an Aguilar 2x10 cabinet. Guess I'll need to A&B them.

Appreciate the feedback.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I liked the Aggie better. I thought the Eden was a bit harsh. But, playing in loud rock band, you may need to cut better. I'm playing primarily acoustic gigs, quieter too. I need a more sublte tone.

I like the option of a 210/115 over a 410 just from portability. I may leave my 115 home about 1/2 the time. I think you can run a line to the Nemesis cab, which would make that a nice option... rehearsal amp / extension for the big rig.

I use a BagEnd 210 D10B-D and 115 S15B-D. I can play very clear and dry at moderate levels, but the 115 does add the rumble I want without getting muddy.

I'd focus a bit on the eq too. You'll want a good pre. The Ampeg SVP-Pro can give you very good progressive rock tone (think Rush - Moving Pictures). It can also give you some overdrive if you want to rough it up a bit. I think it's a good choice and reasonably priced.

I don't know much about the RBI.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you considered the Eden 210XST instead of the XLT? Word has it they sound a lot bigger and they have more of a flat response. Gard says they sound bigger than some 4x10's. You'll pay extra though.

brad cook