Good rigs for lots of volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Jan 27, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    I currently have an Ampeg SVT3pro, a trace elliot gp12smx preamp and ampeg svt cabs 1x15 and 2x10.

Need more volume so have invested in a QSC RMX1450 which arrives this week. I am unsure what to do about the rest of the rig. The Trace is OK and has loads of features but I would like the option of straight bass, middle, treble controls for quick changes as well as/instead of the 12 band graphic. So I may try the Ampeg preamp stage into the QSC. However, I have realised recently that the preamp has low gain compared to the trace and I'm going for volume.

The question is, should I get a new preamp. I am very near to buying a Sansamp RBI. Would that be OK into the QSC?
    I could also get the Sansamp DI box and run that into the Trace Elliot as an alternative?

Does anyone have opinions on the efficiency of the Ampeg classic svt cabs I have? Could they screw up my attempts at generating volume (enough to play outside on a ship with a fairly loud band). I don't think I need anymore power than the QSC will give me, I don't need to fill a stadium stage.

2. If you like your Ampeg tone I would sell your SVT-3 and Trace pre and pick up an SVP-pro preamp.

You are correct that the Ampeg head will not provide enough gain for the QSC power amp you're getting. Unfortunately the Sans-amp DI box will not give you enough gain either.

Anyway, sell the head and the Trace and pick up a nice rack mount pre.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    need more info here

whats the ampeg put out at 8 ohms and 4 ohms (and 2 ohms if it can)?

what's the qsc put out per side into 8, 4, and 2 (if it does 2) and what does it put out into 8 ohms bridged and 4 ohms bridged (if it can do 4 ohms bridged)?

what is the impedance of your cabs? and what is the rated sensitivity of the cabs? and what is their RMS power handling

power wise, you need to double your wattage for a 3 dB increase, which is just noticeable. to get twice as loud you need 10 times the watts.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    First sell that Trace pre to me ;) Oh wait, I'm supposed to help you not me :smug:

Before you start selling stuff off try the Trace pre with QSC and see if it does the trick sound wise. A 2x10 and a 1x15 is a small rig IMO. If your cabs are both 8ohms, run them together in bridged mono and see if that cures your volume problem. If not, you need to move more air. Change your 210 for a 410 or maybe change them both for an 810? You have so many options available to you its crazy.

QSC RMX1450
    Stereo Mode (EIA: both channels driven)
    8 ohms EIA 1 kHz 0.1% THD: 280W
    4 ohms EIA 1 kHz 0.1% THD: 450W
    2 ohms EIA 1 kHz 1% THD: 700W

Bridge Mono Mode
    8 ohms EIA 1 kHz 0.1% THD: 900W
    4 ohms EIA 1 kHz 1% THD: 1400W
  5. After reading the post again I realised that you haven't got your QSC yet. I agree with the above post that you should try out the Trace pre with it and see what you think.

Definately deal with one thing at a time.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if both of your cabs are 8 ohms i would run that qsc bridge mono and daisy chain the cabs together for a 4 ohm load. i think your amped is supposed to put out 300-400 watts into 4 ohms. i hate to be the one to say it, but your increase in volume isnt going to be mind blowing. :meh:

duh, too early in the am for me................. :p

i misread and thought it only put 700 into a 4 ohm load when bridged mono............however, given the wattage ratings on yoru cabs i'd be very careful if you run bridge mono into the 2 cabs as you could blow them if you're not paying attention, and i bet replacement cabs arent all that available on the high seas :p

see if running stereo gives you more volume than your ampeg does. just becasue that wattage will be similar to your ampeg doesnt mean that it wont be louder. qsc and ampeg may rate wattage differently (figures can be fudged).

yeah your rackmount sans amp should give you the correct signal to run the qsc, only the bass driver pedal lacks the gain to do that. even so, i've used my BDDI to feed a power amp. those times i run it in bridge mono mode to make up for the lower output voltage of the BDDI
  7. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    The ampeg cabs are 8 ohms each. 1x15 is 250watts and 2x10 is 200 watts. The QSC gives out about 1400watts bridged mono into 4 ohms. It arrived today. Unfortunately the rest of my gear is on the ship.

Would the sansamp RBI rackmount pre give enough gain into the QSC?

I'm going to try the Trace Elliot into it but I am not 100% into its tone. Prefer the Ampeg. However, we play LOADS of different styles from country to jazz to hard rock to latin. You never know what you'll get asked to play so I would like a very diverse preamp. The Ampeg is very rock orientated. I would like the Trace if it had an XLR output gain control and basic bass/mid/teble controls. The most important thing for me at the moment is that I have something that will feed sufficient gain into the QSC.

The Trace crossover will be quite useful for the stereo power amp.
  8. I have the QSC RMX 1450 also. I have run my Sansamp BDDI directly into my QSC RMX1450 plenty of times. I have the same Ampeg SVT cabs also. I run the amp bridged and daisey chain the 8ohm cabs.

I am now actually using a mic preamp between the BDDI and the QSC, but not always.

To answer you question. Your setup get REAL LOUD!