Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Rock Rig, low/medium budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ninja>Pirate, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Ninja>Pirate

Ninja>Pirate Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Ok, I've been on these forums for a while looking at what other people think are good choices for rigs, I've got a pretty good idea of what I want for a head, it's just whatever comes up on ebay the cheapest and best is probably what I'll get. My budget is $2000 CAN but I would like to keep it cheaper so I can buy pickups and other stuff.

My current bass is a Fender Highway 1 P-bass, no mods
    I really like the sound of bass in bands like Block Party and Modest Mouse, you know really warm with a bit of punch and crunch.
    I was thinking for a head:
    Ashdown ABM 500 or
    Trace Elliot 300h or 350h or v-type
    Traynor YBA200

for cabs I can't really decide whether to go with a 15 and a 2x10 or just one good 2x12, I was thinking Avatar or SWR, maybe a Schroeder. Does anyone know if the Avatar Neo's sound better than the non neo's?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :bassist:

2. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Have you considered the Carvin b-1500 for a head? It's steal for the price and sounds awesome.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get a 4-ohm Avatar B410 Kappa Pro, with a Kustom Groove Bass head. Or get the Carvin BRX rig, with the B1500 head and BRX10 cab.

Either one will rock...

MM

4. with all the great stuff floating around about trace elliot, you probly cant go wrong with that, or the traynor since theyre a yorkie product. nothign but great reviews about them. ashdowns are great too, you cant go wrong with either (my electric blue combo just came in the door!!!)

eric judy from modest mouse is a great bassist, all i know about his setup is he uses a 4x10 or a 8x10 ampeg cab, i cant tell. he uses an ampeg head too, not sure which. so that'd be the best thing you could get to match his sound, but thats way out of your budget