Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good rock tone from a Genz Benz GBE 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, May 18, 2005.

1. How about it, guys? What's been your experience? Can it do at least a decent impression of an SVT in overdrive? Any and all input is appreciated.

Peace.

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    (all this information gathered from the heresay I gather over at HCBF)

The GBE600 does not do a distortion. It will provide some subtle tube drive, but nothing much. However, the GBE1200 will provide the "SVT distortion," if that's what you want.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no svt overdrive from the 600

it is a very nice sounding amp though with an eq that seems pretty well voiced. It sounds kinda like an eden but not quite as "warm", but really blossoms with a tiny bit of bass boost. the fact that it has low mid and high mid knobs lets you mess with the sound a bit more than soem amps, and messing around with one i found the boosting one or the other gave me a lot of "rock" tones that should really cut through in a full on band setting.

if i was going to try to make it sound like an svt i'd do a bit of mid boost to taste depending upon which svt tone you're going for.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Good rock tone? And then some. Sound like an overdriven SVT? There's only one way to get that sound. I have gotten my GBE600 to overdrive, with the tube gain cranked and a hot input. Didn't sound bad, but it wasn't an SVT. Very flexible EQ section, deep/scoop/bright switches, and very loud. I hardly touch the EQ though, sounds great as is. This amp through the right cabs is phenominal, but overdrive isn't its strong point.

5. That's what I like to hear, LOL! Ideally, I'd like an amp that doesn't suffer from the "sponginess" that the Mesa M-Pulse 600 purportedly does when slapping, while having the ability to give me a tone at least similar to Bruce Gordon's on "Soft Bomb Salad" (I Mother Earth). I realize he plays a vintage SVT, but since I'll be doing slap, I'm seriously leaning towards the GBE 1200.

One more question: Does distortion = "growl"?

Much thanks for the input, guys! Keep it coming!

Peace.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    it doesn't do distortion like an SVT. The tube will add some grit and growl but not "SVT" distortion.

It will do plenty of distortion though. Like one person here posted, it is an effect of the tube pre plus adding the right amount of low mids.