Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good rythmn in left hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mogo, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Mogo

Mogo

Jan 3, 2002
    Would any of you's have any good ideas for for building up a good rythmn and speed in the left hand using my index and middle finger(the one for the salute). Any help would be unbelievable. The group I play in play some class tunes with the bass pumping it out at the start on its lonesome so I want it to sound dogsballs!! :bassist:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You mean your plucking hand, right? (I'm guessing you're a leftie).

Practice simple 8ths, try using a lighter touch, it'll even out your tone, give you more control and you won't tire so fast.
    Strive for minimum effective finger movement.

3. Mogo

Mogo

Jan 3, 2002
    Na im a rightie if theres such a word. Wot it is that i cant keep good rythem coz me hand keeps tiring its self out. Its got to the point that any songs we do in are set ive got all the quick tunes put to the start.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ah ok, the two-finger part threw me.

The key is practice, to get more stamina and dexterity.

Using a lighter touch will avoid getting tired, and also give you more control, better tone and more speed.

Also, people tend to get tense in arm, shoulder etc. while playing. Body relaxation is the key to play relaxed.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Use more fingers ;)

If you're only using two fingers on the fretting hand and letting the other two hang around idly, you deserve to get tired. On the other hand, if you've only got two usable fingers just take it easy and listen to the incredible playing of jazz guitar legend, Django Reinhardt (who lost use of two fingers in a fire).

Wulf

6. Try playing in different positions. For example, in E play down low using some open strings. After a while, move up to the seventh fret. Then go back down. That way you don't wear out the same muscles all the time.

7. Mogo

Mogo

Jan 3, 2002
    I think some of u's is getting the wrong end of the stick. I'm on about my pick/pluck hand. Not my fretting hand. I use all 4 Wulf,fretting!!!

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's because JMX asked if you were a leftie and you responded that you're a rightie. You'd asked for speed tips for your left hand and that would be the fretting hand if you play a 'right-handed' bass (like I do).

If you're plucking the notes with your left hand then follow the sage advice in JMX's second posting - that works for both hands, which ever way round you play!

Wulf