Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Set up for death metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JMasc, Aug 30, 2005.

1. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what a good set up for playing death metal would be. I need to put out enough power to play halls/clubs. My budget is around $1000 and im playing a Ibanez EDB600.

2. try to find a used ampeg svt-3 PRO, it should do the trick, + a 410 cab

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1 on the ibanez.

I played a svt-3pro into a goliath 3 8 ohm with a edb600 it sounded AWESOME.

I dunno how that would do with a death metal band but for what I play it would suit me very well.

-Rob

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    do you play with distortion?

5. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    nope I play clean.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    what is your tuning?

7. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Drop D sometimes mostly Drop C.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    you got a big enough vehicle for an 810 cab?

9. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Yeah I think I would be able to fit one in.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For a great setup for Death Metal, see this thread --> Click Me

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Well I use ampeg & I play thrash metal. Ampeg works great for me. You are in upstate NY? you should be able to find a ton of used gear and on $1000 budget you will pretty much need to go used to get a big rig of good quality. If you go with ampeg, I have seen used 810 cabs for as low as $300. they might look beat up, but in good working condition. I think a pre+power amp combination would work for you. I have seen used SVP Pros for around $350. Then you just need to pick out a power amp & even brand new ones can be pretty cheap, used ones are of course cheaper.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481563/

or even louder

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481564/

Thats right in your budget if you do a bit of looking around.

There are a lot of smaller sized setups, but I am assuming you won't always have PA support and you will need brute force power. I often use a 150 watt solid state Ampeg SS150H guitar head live- it cost me $150- but I always have PA support.

12. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Yeah im in upstate Ny.
    The sound we have in my band currently is a at the gates/black dahlia murder type sound.
    There is always PA support also.

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    well then thats different. theres no right or wrong way to go. you should just go to a music store, try out some rigs & then look for them used.

I get tired lugging around gear so I am about to buy a steelsound 212 cab and load it with Eminence DeltaLite speakers (lightweight with neodymium magnets). I havent actually tried out the cab yet, but a lot of people on this forum like them & they are soo inexpensive its worth a shot to me. I know Avatar sells 212 cabs with those Neo speakers too. My SS150H head is always enough power for me with full PA support, but no way it will be enough on its own. At $150 used- they are out there- & I can get that thing to sound D@mn close to my vintage SVT... it can produce a very aggressive tone & punch. With the stock speakers in that Steelsound cab, you'd be looking at about $400 for that entrie rig. you can spend the rest on strippers & booze.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd look for a used SVT-4Pro and pair it with an 8ohm Avatar 212, add second B212 later for full power. I don't think there is an amp on earth that can do death metal better than the 4Pro, and I'm not even that big an ampeg fan...

15. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You could always check out accugroove, they might be outta your budget but would be killer.

-Rob

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    First of all wear ear plugs!

About ten years ago I played in a heavy prog band, I had an

SVT classic Head w/8x10

I sold the 8x10 and got an

Eden 410 XLT

It killed and was fairly portable, you can no doubt get something similar used for under $1000

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SVT-II (non pro) and a Genz Benz 1x12.

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I love the II, but cleantone does not come to mind with it...

20. interule

interule

Jul 1, 2005
    I play death metal with a 5 string.

I use a kustom GrooveBass 1200 and an Avatar 2x10 and 1x15.