Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Settings For My Boss ODB-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Mar 4, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i was wondering if anyone could name some good eq settings for my boss overdrive pedal. i have no real specific sound i'm going for, just a good metal sound i guess.

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Low eq: 12:00

Hi eq: 12:00 to 3:00 depending on sound required. For the Radiohead OTT distorted sound I like the 3:00 setting:)

balance: 9:00 plenty of original bass to counter compression

gain 2:00 to 3:00 plenty of gain to get fat tone

3. I have the same pedal and my problem is that it is fine on the g and d strings but sounds a bit sloppy on the a and e strings. Any suggestions, settings?

Thanks

4. The best setting I found with my ODB-3.

Set next to baseboard, so door knob doesn't strike the wall.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Come on Donne it's that bad is it?I think it sounds alright as long as you use the blend knob sparingly:bassist:

6. I use mine for a huge, fat sound - settings;

Low EQ - 5 o'clock (just backed off full, for the sake of my speaker)
    High EQ - 10 o'clock
    Balance - 3:30 o'clock (er.... yeah)
    Gain - 2 o'clock

Level - up just a touch from the dry bass sound.

This gives me a really good sound, like either Citizen Erased or Micro Cuts from Muse's Origin Of Symmetry album (I can't remember which track right now, I'm listening to a totally different CD).

And to Donne; I really like mine, it's my best distortion pedal (minding, my other ones are a Marshall Jackhammer and a DOD SupraDistortion) but it can give a very good fat sound. It's no BigMuff or anything like that, but it's not bad.

7. Just checked, it's Citizen Erased, I can just about nail that sound with my ODB-3.

Wow, it's been a long time since I last listened to a Muse CD.

8. A lot of people on the board keep talking about "BigMuff" I thought BigMuff was for guitars. Can anybody help me out on this and if it is for guitar do you have to make any adjustments to it, to use with the bass?

Thanks guys

9. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    It's safe to say that every big muff sounds different, depending on when and where it was made. I had a U.S.A. reissue that sounded good on bass, but for a little money R.Keeley modded it to be more bass friendly. I am very happy with the results, big fat fuzz.

10. Yeah, it's supposed to be for guitars, but it doesn't matter. In most of them, there's more than enough bottom end for use with bass - the guitarist I know who uses one dials the bass control right down, becuase it kicks out so much.

There's been loads of different models though, and each is slightly different, so some of them need modding for bass and others don't.

(about half my pedals are guitar pedals, but they don't eat the low end, and I like their sound, so I use them)

11. Thanks, but one more question, you mentioned there are a bunch of different models, which models should I be looking at if I would rather NOT make adjustments to the pedal? I live in a smaller town in Saskatchewan, (a province in Canada for you southern folk, just kidding) Its not that easy for me to hook up the dog sled and find some one who could do the mods for me. So a list of some models that would not need adjustment would be great.

Now back to my igloo and watch some farmer bowling, EH!

Thanks