Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good setup for a smooth bass on a budget?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antipop, Nov 6, 2003.

1. antipop

antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm looking to get as smooth a sounding bass as possible, or one great for walking basslines, etc. I have a limited budget of ~$1000, and it doesn't just have to be a stock guitar (say a fender american jbass rw fretboard alder body with bartolini pickups, preamps, etc)

Any suggestions as to what I should get?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i think it's really difficult for anyone to suggest something for a sound someone is looking for as it's nearly impossible to define a sound in an objective way. the way you play also has more to do with the sound, than the bass. that being said....

i'd go see lots of live bands and take notice of what different basses sound like, and i'd play ever bass in every music store till i found what sounds right to me.

i played and bought lots of basses. a MM is the sound i wanted and i wasn't happy till a MM found it's way into my home. i can still go play every bass in a store, then pick up a MM and KNOW that that's the sound I want.

3. antipop

antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    I mean, yeah, basses are going to sound different, but off of prior experience, you'd def know how stuff sounds, like the mm pickups you talked about.

What should I put together to make a great-sounding bass?

4. If you're looking for a smooth sounding bass you might want to look at a lakland with the USA Bartolini electronics. I have a Lakland 55-02 with USA pu's and preamp. I also own a Warwick proline. The sound of both couldn't be more any more opposite.

The warwick is cutting with strong low growling mids. The lakie's deeper and more full sounding with a smoother top end.

And it just so happens I'm selling it.:D I prefer the more cutting aggressiveness as opposed to the smoother rounder bass tone.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102419

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Good flatwound strings, and passive pickups with the trebled rolled off.

6. antipop

antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    Does it come with bartolini pickups? I'm definetly interested in that, nice bass

7. antipop

antipop

Nov 6, 2003
    still selling?

(case included?)

8. Yup! USA Bartolini pickups and preamp. Gibson Hardshell case included.

Lakland