Good setup for cheaper bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ThePaste, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Just a question, will a good setup by a luthier make a cheaper bass better? Well, of course it can only make it better, but will it suit the needs of someone who is only going to sort of "mess around"... Well... Not really "mess around" but sort of try to learn it, but not as a main instrument (I have an electric). But would that be ok?
  2. Well, before all you DB'ers tell me I need a very high end bass for it to have the right tone and all, I just want one to learn how to play it, because I just think double bass is awesome! (not sucking up, really!) I want to play something like swing/rock sort of. And I want a double bass to just kinda make it "real" sort of... You know what I mean???? I don't think I'm explaining myself very good.

But anyway, could any of you reccomend a cheaper bass (and by cheaper, I'm saying under $900 or $800 :(, that, with a good setup, could be playable.
  3. Hey, just at, I've seen a Cremona (good?) for $600 with need of a pro setup. Is Cremona a good brand?
  4. Is Kay good?

Also, what is the difference between alluminum and wood? Tone of course but cost? Is alluminum cheaper? Because I have seen many bassists have started on alluminum basses, and I just wondered.

[Edited by ThePaste on 02-04-2001 at 08:19 PM]
  5. AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. $600 seems like a lot of money if you're just going to mess around. An upright bass is a pretty serious investment. Maybe that $600 bucks would be better spent on an entire road case of effects and pedals!
  6. $600 is going to buy you junk
  7. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    If you drop $600 on a Cremona you'll probably have to spend at least $600-$800 more on strings and setup. Even then the thing might not be playable. Generally the cost of admission for a decently set up beginner bass is $1500-$2000. The DB is a very different and demanding beast compared to the BG. It's hard to dabble with it and get anywhere. But there's no sound like it. Your best bet is to find a luthier or bass teacher in your area to give you some advice.
  8. And what about aluminum?
  9. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I have read about aluminum basses - never seen one never heard one. I don't think they are still made. Have you run across a source? Check out he's got some links about aluminum basses. Also check the archives at 2xbass (instructions at gollihur's page) there was a discussion on aluminum basses within the last 6 months. Comments on the sound I've heard range from tolerable to painfully bad. I have no idea what one would cost if you could find one.
  10. I haven't seen an aluminum DB since my string methods class days,I don't think they make them anymore (for good reasons) but if you find one, it also works well as a kayak.
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Really? I heard they pull to the left, and often leak through the endpin fittings...