Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good setup for this sound? (Mulitple part question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 1, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, I'm starting to narrow down the search, i think im gonna go with quality over size/loudness. Right now i am thinking a eden head (the lowest wattage one they have, 400 i think) through a Bergantino EX112. Guy at the store did say that that would sound amazing. I'm looking for a sound that can cover rock, like floyd and zep, as well as metal, like maiden and old metallica, and can handle alot of variation, since i have a G&L L-2000. Think this setup would reproduce that sound? If not, what good quality heads and cabs should i look at?

Second part: Whats the difference between eden and their nemesis line? I'm guessing the nemesis is a little lower wattage and quality and therefore less $, kinda like fender/squire, is this right?

I think thats all, at least for now...

Thanks!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The EX is a great cab, but keep in mind, it does not have a tweeter. Technically, you should be able to cover all the bands you mention without a tweeter, but in truth, a good tweeter (like Bergantino's) wouldn't necessarily be out of place on those tunes, and might give you more variety. So, the HT112 might be a more versatile choice. But keep in mind, a single 1x12 is only going to move so much air. Is this going to be a practice rig, or a gigging rig?

Tom.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    It will be both, practice and ill throw in a second 8 ohm cab when i need it.

Any info on eden/nemesis?

I'm a little unsure, what i a tweeter and what does it do?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gotcha. Maybe an HT112 and an EX112 for when you need two cabs.

I haven't tried any Nemesis gear, but Eden seems consistently good to me, though I care more for their amps than for their cabs.

It is a seperate high frequency driver, making your cab a 2-way design. Opinions vary widely on how useful they may be, and whether they are desireable or not. If you want some high end clarity/sparkle/zing, then you may need a tweeter. Some cabs have midranges (making them 3-way designs), or even dedicated low-mid and low frequency woofers (making them 4-way designs). Othe cabs, like the EA Wizzy, employ a whizzer cone around the woofer's dust cap(s) to get some added high(er) frequency dispersion.

Tom.

5. I dont know what kind of rigs your guitarists are playing through but you might want more juice than the WT400. 450 watts into a 212 I use is just making it vs a Marshall halfstack. Your rig will sound a lot better than mine, but you may need more.

6. I have an Eden Time traveller Head, and It sounds great, but it doesn't put out the volume of say, an ampeg. This is the ONLY complaint I have about the amp. You can always find more power. Tone is most important. The compression is smooth and the EQ is also good. I don't know what head you're looking at, but Eden has simple heads, and complex ones. In my experience with Eden, I get better results with fewer knobs.
    As for the Nemesis series, I personally wasn't impressed. For the price it is a great amp. But you always (relatively) get what you pay for.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an Eden WT-550 adn a Bergantino HT112. I play everything with it and it's great! Light, powerful, portable, sounds great, looks great.

If you need more, add an EX112. I hope to get one someday.

http://gra.midco.net/sjcarriere/rig.html

8. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I have a Bergantion HT112 and EX112 that I often power with my Eden WT-330.

It is obscenely loud and it sounds great. Competes easily volume wise with a 50-watt Orange 2x12", a Vox AC15 1x12", and a loud drummer.

I'm not sure the "sound" for which you are looking? In my opinion, it has less to do with the rig and more to do with the player.

Your analogy of Fender/Squire and David/Nemesis is not too far off the mark. Nemesis is a fine line in its own right. One should expect more from the David line from Eden, though, due to the price.

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    SteveC, you head/cab combo is basically exactly what i want! Damn you! If you dont mind my asking, what did it set you back?

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005