Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Setup or No?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whitmore, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    Hey TBers i was wondering wut u guys think of the setup i am planning on geting its an Ampeg SVT-450H and Ampeg SVT-610hlf. Let me know wut you think plus any pros and cons of the two

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think you might be able to do a little better head-wise in terms of power/tone for the money. What type of music are you playing?

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well, i have the svt 350H and the 410 HLF. so, based on that. that cab is outstanding, excellent sound, lound and low and punchy and whatever else, only thing is its big, its real big, and heavy. but its got rear casters, so if youve got a van and a buddy to help you lift it, your set. (maybe look at a bergantino nv610, i have no experience but guys around here will tell ya bout them)
    and as far as the head, it gets a decent sound, and a little overpriced, im starting to find the low string a little muddy, but i have a very cheap bass. other thing about that head is, its BIG. from what i gather its exactly the same as mine, but with 100 more watts. so, what they did is took the classic svt's and took the tubes out of them, but used the same box. so now you got this big ol' (sweet looking) head, but if you look in the back theres just a giant space, and the small amp section. SO if you ever wanted more power (most likely will), and decided to get a power amp, youde have a monster huge preamp and a power amp thatd youde probably want a rack for, so all and all i gigantic waste of space.
    i personally am looking into a new head thats physically smaller with alot more power.
    your best bet is to go play it at guitar centre or wherever for a real long time, and if you really really like the sound and your willing to haul 45 pounds of it around then go for it.