1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good shop in california

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reinsen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. reinsen

reinsen

Jan 4, 2012
    Bochum, Germany
    hello folks.

i'll be spending 4 months near san francisco starting in april.
    i think its pretty unlikely that i'll get to take a bassguitar with me, so i was wondering if there are good shops in that area so that i can at least play a little bit there once in a while or maybe even buy one to satisfy my need for playing :)

regards from germany

2. Theres a Guitar Center in the city, but my favorite is a bit north of San Fran at Bananas At Large up in San Rafael, cool shop with a great selection of basses.

3. Just south is Gelb Music. It is simply the best in the area if you want to play some outrageous basses.

4. Subway Guitars in Berkeley (aka Fat Dawg Guitars) has a crazy great selection of old-school basses. Lots are one of a kind and rare. It's like a living museum. You can get a sense of the progression of guitar technology and design just by looking around the shop, as many guitars are old enough to be from the early days of electric guitars and basses, before the better designs really popped out.

You won't really find any really high end stuff there, but it's great to see all of the strange, wonderful stringed instruments. There's lots of hollow body basses, old really short scale basses, and other oddities. They'll also have a decent selection of more traditional basses, but don't expect to see any Warwicks, 5-string Ibbys or anything like that. Mostly P-basses, Jazz basses, Rics, etc.

SUBWAY GUITARS: Bargain, Custom, Professional Quality, Retro and Vintage Guitars, Basses & Amps

5. reinsen

reinsen

Jan 4, 2012
    Bochum, Germany
    thanks for the great suggestions so far!

gelb music looks really nice, they have lull, zon, f-bass, sadowsky and elric. dont get to see those in my area. i'm excited :)