Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good ska recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jun 18, 2001.

1. I've heard a lot about ska around here, and I've never actually heard any, so I'm a little curious about it. Can anyone recommend some good recordings for me to listen to?

2. Check out Operation Ivy, the guitarist and bassist are the same as in Rancid, but they were at theur peak in the late 80's with Op Ivy IMO, chekc it out, its VERY good stuff, bassically the only ska I like.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I would say that this is definitely not Ska at all!! :rolleyes:

Original Ska was a Jamaican music from the 50s and 60s - try anything on the "Trojan" label - Prince Buster is probably the most famous, apart from Toots and the Maytals.

The music was brought to England by Jamaican immigrants and in about '79/80 their children started a big revival - probably the best bands for thsi are The Specials, Selecter, Beat and some early Madness tracks although they degenerated into pop fluff!

4. Yes Bruce, I know ska is derived from Jamaican music. But Op Ivy is bassically the only ska I like, so thats what I recomended. Actually, another ska band I like is Dancehallcrasers, which is funny, cause it's the opposite of Op Ivy. Go figure.

5. op ivy is hardly typical ska. i would say it's punk with a little ska thrown in, but listening to them won't give you an idea of what ska "is." (they do kick ass though).

as far as modern ska, can't go wrong with reel big fish. oh, and please check out the pilfers. they deserve some recognition dammit. :)

6. Cool, thanks everyone. I'm going on audiogalaxy now. I think I've heard the specials before, although I can't remember what they were like, so that does me no good. Oh well.

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Less Than Jake

8. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    If you want 'real' ska check out the legendary Skatalites. Only a few punk bands can mix ska these
    days , there are way too many of these punk bands calling themselves ska and there blatantly not. Contemporary bands such as No doubt mix ska quite well in some of there songs and Tony Kanal is one of the best bass players in the scene.

9. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    If you like ska and you like punk then try the Clash or the Stranglers

jc

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    voodoo glow skulls, the songs el coo cooi and shoot the moon are the best

reel big fish like someone else said

the aquabats, super rad and giant robot birdhead are the best

11. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Ulyanov, If you want to listen to the "King of Ska" then buy a Desmond Dekker Cd' (Trojan Records). This is a cat that at one point worked in a factory along side Bob Marley in Kingston. He was best known for his song "The Israelites" "Shanty town 007", this is truly Ska at it's rawest. Or if you want to go with something more modern you can go with:

The Pietasters
    The Toasters
    Mighty Mighty Boston's

Operations Ivy is more of a "Punk Ska" (which I like) but more on the punk side. Ska and reggae are pretty simialr Ska is usually played at a faster tempo.

Alot of the new stuff out there has lost it's "roots" as far as Ska goes.

Oh yes don't forget "The Specials" (must have for ska).

12. Bruce Lindfield

Ska and Reggae are very different for basslines. So as you say Ska is a bit faster and is very Jazz influenced, but without the swing. So you will have walking basslines, which don't swing and which are diatonic - no chromatic passing notes!

Reggae doesn't use walking basslines and is based more on root-fifth, but has more rhythmic variation - the main one being "one drop" where you consciously avoid playing on the first beat of the bar - so in Ska you would feel the first beat of the bar very strongly in the bassline; in reggae, you leave it out.

So Ska is driving forward with each new bar, whereas reggae is sort of hanging back.

13. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    So that's the difference... Thanks Bruce for breaking it down for me.

14. You know what's funny? The first song that sounded like ska I ever heard was "Obladi Oblada" by the Beatles.

15. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Now, before I get flamed or anything, I know this isn't whole ska, but try lookin' at some No Doubt. They're quite ska-ish. If you do look at No Doubt, go for their self-titled album and/or Tragic Kingdom. Tragic Kingdom of course being an awesome album, but the self-titled album just has some awesome basslines! Tony Kanal did an awesome job on both of those albums. Anyway, just to re-enforce, it's not wholly in the category of ska, but it is labeled as such - so go check it out if ya want to. :D

16. Bruce Lindfield

Actually this is a "Calypso" feel - which is a Caribbean music that pre-dated Ska. Ska was probably a mix of this and the Jazz records that some DJs brought over to Jamaica from America. It's like their folk music! ;)

17. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I would agree that "No Doubt" has the Ska thing going. However there are much better examples for Ska then them.

18. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    True dat! But they're one of my fav. bands! :D I don't exactly like their latest album though.....it has suckish tendencies.

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Check out The Slackers and Hepcat. New bands doing it the old-skool way.

20. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Try some Five Iron Frenzy. My personal fave: "Oh Canada"